Calendar App for Facebook

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
BensMeister

Calendar App for Facebook

Post by BensMeister »

The biggest problem with the ward website calendars is that you have to log in to view it. I think the most useful feature of the website isn't used enough for this very reason. Is it feasible to create a facebook application that a user could use to pull calendar data off the website, and put it in a box on facebook? Are there other automatic ways to get a live calendar update without logging on to the ward websites?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There is a export function in LUWS. However, that said, I think the login requirement is likely a policy decision to protect the members, particularly the youth, from predators. I would not encourage making the calendar publicly accessible.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TechnoBabel-p40

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

BensMeister wrote:The biggest problem with the ward website calendars is that you have to log in to view it. I think the most useful feature of the website isn't used enough for this very reason. Is it feasible to create a facebook application that a user could use to pull calendar data off the website, and put it in a box on facebook? Are there other automatic ways to get a live calendar update without logging on to the ward websites?

Online Home Teaching reporting is an excellent way to provide an updated calendar to members without requiring a username and password to login. A calendar displaying before or after the teacher reports is a great, non-intrusive way to provide scheduled events to members and let them sign up for the events throughout the month. I have some personal experience with this and it works.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”