Bishopric counselor needs to read lips

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mprusse

Bishopric counselor needs to read lips

Post by mprusse »

My counselor has only partial hearing and much of what he understands comes from a combination of sound and reading lips. As such, now that he sits on the stand during sacrament meeting behind the pulpit, he is not able to understand the speakers looking at the back of their heads.

I'm looking for a solution that will allow him to see the speaker's lips. I thought of a mirror but that would require constant adjustment for each speaker. I also considered a video camera and monitor but that might be too much to keep control of and prepare each Sunday.

I'm open for suggestions on other options or modifications to these ideas.

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since he's only partially deaf, what about a receiver for the hard of hearing that the library should have? That way he can get a better volume and clear sound.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

macsense wrote:My counselor has only partial hearing and much of what he understands comes from a combination of sound and reading lips.
If he understands American Sign Language, you might consider using an interpreter.
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

It's my understanding that every building in the US has a transmitter system tied into the microphone stand. Individuals in the congregation use a receiver about the size of a deck of cards with a set of headphones. They control their own volume level. The audio comes from the microphone so they hear the person speaking rather than background noise. Contact your PM group if you don't have any receivers. (Sometimes they accidentally go home with listeners or they could be in an unknown closet somewhere in the building.)

If his hearing is impaired so that the receivers don't work, why not let him sit on the front row so he can see the speakers?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Matt and I are referring to the same system. All ones I've seen are built by Comtek. The transmitter is a standard part of the Church-supplied PA systems for chapels.

If there are no users, the receivers may be hiding in the dark corners of the library or clerk's office where unused/unknown equipment collects. The FM group can obtain additional receivers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If an audio device won't work for him and he wishes to remain seated on the stand, then you will need to adopt something similar to what deaf branches use, which is a small video camera on or near the pulpit that feeds a video monitor sitting on the floor next to the pulpit in front of the bishopric.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

just invite him to move down to the front row when the talks begin!?

I mean, come on people - let's not overcomplicate this. I'm currently serving as bishop - and if he was my counsellor, that's what I'd suggest anyhow.
greggo

Post by greggo »

dannykos wrote:just invite him to move down to the front row when the talks begin!?

I was about to suggest the same thing.
It's certainly viable in the short term, if there are no audio devices yet available.
I would still pursue the transmitter/receiver option, as this could benefit others as well.

Return to “General Discussions”