Backup Audio

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
shanebankhead

Backup Audio

Post by shanebankhead »

Our stake is set up to broadcast our conferences from the stake center to four nearby church buildings using our own point to point radio network. The system is working quite well now, and now I'm wanting to focus more attention to our backup audio system. This has always been a last minute thing that we pull off one way or another, but fortunately we've never needed it.

Here's my question:
When we were originally started doing this, we worked with Salt Lake to get it set up for the visiting authorities that would attend that conference. At that time, SLC recommended that we use one of the Church's telephone conference bridges to tie the buildings together for backup audio. We've done that for all of the conferences since.

However, the last couple of times I've called the operator in Salt Lake, they've given me a little bit of a hassle, saying that they really don't like to use the bridge lines for local conferences.

Does anyone know what the church recommends? Should we be making our own local arrangements for a bridge line? Or was I just talking to the wrong operator in Salt Lake?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

SBankhead wrote:SLC recommended that we use one of the Church's telephone conference bridges to tie the buildings together for backup audio. We've done that for all of the conferences since.

However, the last couple of times I've called the operator in Salt Lake, they've given me a little bit of a hassle, saying that they really don't like to use the bridge lines for local conferences.

I would start with who suggested using the Church bridge. If it was the general authority for that first conference, they would do it that one time. But, I can also see the hesitancy on the part of the Church operators to do it on a regular basis for a stake.

If it was someone else, there may have been a policy change. I have never used one of their bridges for a stake conference. On the other hand, I had never thought of using one, either. [grin]
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the original communications with Salt Lake happened before I was the guy in charge, so I'm not sure who to follow up with. But, I will see if I can talk to someone up there who can give me more direction on this.

I guess I'm mostly curious about how everyone else is handling backup audio now that Meetinghouse Webcast is out & a lot more people are doing building-to-building broadcasts. We can't possibly be the only stake in the church that sets up telephone backup for its broadcasts (can we?). Is there anyone out there that can share their backup plan?

Thanks,

-Shane
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

SBankhead wrote:We can't possibly be the only stake in the church that sets up telephone backup for its broadcasts (can we?).
Actually, I had not even thought about it. But we are not at the point yet where we are setting up building to building broadcast communication. We may do one in November, but the decision is still out on whether or not to spend the money on the expensive web communicator box. And we would only have one remote location, so a telephone backup could be as simple as a normal long distance phone call.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”