Adopted non-members in MLS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dduvall-p40

Adopted non-members in MLS

Post by dduvall-p40 »

We have 3 children of record, under 18, in the MLS for our ward that originally where foster children to non-members. They where not blessed or baptizsed. The non-member family has adopted all 3 children but we can not get the adoption records. The primary president wants them off the rolls. Our bishop feels they should be moved out of the ward since they are now adopted by the non-member family.

Does anyone know how to handle this situation? You help is appreciated, in advance.:confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I took quick look, but didn't see anything that covered this situation. Failing better advice, I'd call clerk support.

I believe that as long as they reside in your ward boundaries, then the records belong in your ward. So while I understand the Primary President and Bishop's positions, I don't think they are the right response. The question is can the records be canceled before they reach 18? That's where I can't find anything that covers this situation.

One question - where they born in the convent? If not, then that might make things simpler.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The question is can the records be canceled before they reach 18? That's where I can't find anything that covers this situation.
In MLS, when you go to Membership > View and Update > Cancel Record, there are two and only two acceptable reasons you can give:
  1. At least 18 years old and unbaptized
  2. Duplicate record.
The second option obviously doesn't apply in this case. If you try to choose the first option for someone who is not 18, you get an error message:
The individual whose record you have selected to cancel is not 18 years old. Unbaptized children of record under 18 years old cannot have their records canceled.
So it seems quite definite that there is no way to do this for someone under 18 in MLS. I suppose there might be an option to make a special request or to work with Local Unit Support, but I would think you'd have to make a pretty persuasive argument that the records never should have been created in the first place. Otherwise the policy is clear that you have to wait until they turn 18 (and even then the bishop has to get specific permission from the stake president to cancel the record).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect the circumstances of the creation of the records will play a role here.

One thing to keep in mind, is that blessing information isn't transfered with the records. So if the records where created in another unit, you can't tell if the children were ever blessed.

But at this point I think the best course of action is to call the Church Office for guidance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dduvall-p40

Post by dduvall-p40 »

The children in question where NOT BIC.

I appreciate the input.........will pass info to the bishop
clerker-p40

Post by clerker-p40 »

The blessing of a child and the creation of a membership record does not go hand in hand. A child can be blessed without ever having a membership created. A record for the child can be created without a child ever having a blessing.
If these 3 children are all under the age of 18, then it is up to the legal parents of that child if their names should be on the records of the Church. The records should be canceled if the legal parents have requested that their child's name is removed. The Church cannot legally keep the information. Please send a message through MLS with the information for the children and that their legal parents request the records to be canceled.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

clerker wrote: If these 3 children are all under the age of 18, then it is up to the legal parents of that child if their names should be on the records of the Church. The records should be canceled if the legal parents have requested that their child's name is removed. The Church cannot legally keep the information. Please send a message through MLS with the information for the children and that their legal parents request the records to be canceled.
In that case, it sounds like filling out an administrative action form and following the name removal process would apply in this case, except that the legal parents would be making the written request instead of the individuals (children) themselves.

Return to “Membership Help”