Securing Modem/Firewall

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Securing Modem/Firewall

Post by russellhltn »

I'm looking for suggestions on how to physically secure the cable modem and firewall. I'd like to find a small lockable cabinet with ventilation and maybe a window to observe the lights. But still physically secure the equipment so that it's difficult to bypass the firewall.

It's not the type of thing on finds at the office superstores. At least not the ones near me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

It's an interesting problem. In our stake, FHC Cisco Pix firewall is always (like ISP modem) on the table with our Dell computers. If a patron have a problem, he or she change the cables in the firewall in a test to return to internet. It always cause problems to us.

We need informations (for us and for FMGroups, i believe) of how manage a structured cable system in Church properties.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm looking for suggestions on how to physically secure the cable modem and firewall. I'd like to find a small lockable cabinet with ventilation and maybe a window to observe the lights. But still physically secure the equipment so that it's difficult to bypass the firewall.

It's not the type of thing on finds at the office superstores. At least not the ones near me.
For Church buildings where you are securing Church electronic property the FM Group can get a variety of security boxes or cages. Most of them are the kind that are bolted to the wall. The other option the FM Group uses is to use a locked utiltiy room. I have talked with my FM Group about this very thing but ran into some difficulties in getting the security box this fiscal go-around due to budget cut-backs. I suppose if your stake provides the funds they may be able to find something for you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm looking for suggestions on how to physically secure the cable modem and firewall.
Ours came in a cabinet that is often mistaken for the satellite receiver equipment, although it is only half that size. When the FM group installed it, it was locked in the box and they would not give us a key.

So, we called them up from 100 miles away a few times and the FHC folks at CHQ leaned on them a few times when the library had to close. The Director finally got a key and the STS has access to it.

So, ask the FM group where to get a metal cabinet.

Disadvantage, we cannot see into it to check the lights.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I did a quick search on the internet for 'ventilated locking wall cabinets' and found a small number of manufacturers with products like this one. While most of the sites did not provide pricing (they gave telephone numbers to call) the prices seemed to range from about $189 for a simple 19" box like the one linked to above to well over $400 for glass front models.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:For Church buildings where you are securing Church electronic property the FM Group can get a variety of security boxes or cages.
lajackson wrote:Ours came in a cabinet that is often mistaken for the satellite receiver equipment, although it is only half that size. When the FM group installed it, it was locked in the box and they would not give us a key.
Thanks. That's one option, but it's taking some time to work though getting something from them.

As for the key - well, maybe the way to do it there is "no key, then you support it". :D I am expecting that the power cord will be unsecured and can be used to reset things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote: I am expecting that the power cord will be unsecured and can be used to reset things.
Not if it's big enough to house a UPS also. (Which I recommend using anyway.)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I am expecting that the power cord will be unsecured and can be used to reset things.
There are also outlet locking box covers.
JD Lessley
jworth-p40

Post by jworth-p40 »

I would assume that most ward buildings are the same all over the world in that the clerks' office is locked so I put our modem and firewall on the top of the cabinets there. You have to have a clerks' key to get in. Out of sight, out of mind for most people.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:As for the key - well, maybe the way to do it there is "no key, then you support it". :D
Exactly! They abhorred the 200 mile round trip, although they did make it twice before they gave up a key.
RussellHltn wrote:I am expecting that the power cord will be unsecured and can be used to reset things.
Ours was not outside. Besides, you had to unplug everything and reboot them in the proper order to make it work. So one total power recycle would not do the trick.
jworth wrote:I would assume that most ward buildings are the same all over the world in that the clerks' office is locked so I put our modem and firewall on the top of the cabinets there. You have to have a clerks' key to get in. Out of sight, out of mind for most people.
Good idea for new installs. Our FHC came first, though. So the line comes into the building opposite any of the three clerks' offices.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”