Wiki for translation of BD, other helps

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
BrainClay

Wiki for translation of BD, other helps

Post by BrainClay »

We have a really fine missionary from France in our ward at this time, and he mentioned that their French LDS Bible is very simple as far as footnotes, etc. There is no French LDS Bible Dictionary or other resources.

I had an idea to quickly translate the Bible Dictionary into a language using a Wiki. Basically, people would volunteer to take an article from the English BD, then translate it into French (or whatever language). Others could review and edit the translation, and then, when everyone thought the entire BD was translated into a language, it could be incorporated into a new edition of the Bible in that language when the Church is able to do that. In the meantime, the Bible Dictionary would at least be available online.

Could the Church host such a Wiki? I know that you would have issues of moderators, etc., but I think it is definitely a doable idea. Some optional ideas for controlling the Wiki could include:
  • pre-create the stubs for the articles to be translated, and not allow users to create stubs
  • restrict authors to registered members of lds.org. (i.e. you have to know your membership number, confirmation date, etc.) Personally, I don't think this is necessary, but offer it as an option. (Who cares if a non-member wants to assist with translating a web page into their own language?)
What do you think?
aaronleishman-p40

RE: Wiki for translation of BD, other helps Reply to Thread

Post by aaronleishman-p40 »

That is a great idea.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'll send your ideas along to the proper department.

Tom

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”