Are regional conferences available via the Internet?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
DeeGardiner

Are regional conferences available via the Internet?

Post by DeeGardiner »

This question may have already been addressed, but I couldn't find it searching.

Our next stake conference will be a regional conference which I assume will be broadcast to our stake center via satellite. Our stake is too large to fit in the stake center in one session, so I see three alternatives/questions:

1) Are regional conferences broadcast more than once so we could hold two sessions?

2) Are regional conferences available via the Internet in addition to satellite? We now have video streaming ability between buildings, but for a regional conference we would only use the receive end at a second building.

3) I could rewire our video streaming server to send the satellite signal to church headquarters and then download from there to our second building.

I prefer option #2. Does anyone know the questions associated with options #1 and #2?

Thanks,
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

DeeGardiner wrote:1) Are regional conferences broadcast more than once so we could hold two sessions?

2) Are regional conferences available via the Internet in addition to satellite?

3) I could rewire our video streaming server to send the satellite signal to church headquarters and then download from there to our second building.

1) Our last regional conference (February) was timed so that it was broadcast at 10:00 am locally to most stakes. There was a repeat broadcast that began at 1:00 pm. We could have held two sessions.

We also had permission to record the conference for rebroadcast at a different time that day, if necessary. We could have recorded at 10:00 am and had as many sessions at 1:00 pm or another time, for example, as we needed to have, whether or not there were satellite receivers in the buildings.

2) The conference, to my knowledge, was not available on the internet. It was available to every building in our stake that has a church satellite receiver.

3) Way beyond my technical ability, I think technically feasible, but there is probably a better way. [grin]

The letter that came announcing the conference had all of the broadcast details and times. It gave us instruction on how to make any special receiver activation requests. It told us what languages would be broadcast, and how we could request other additional languages if needed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:We also had permission to record the conference for rebroadcast at a different time that day...
It is quite important that this permission is sought and received. The permission received may have limitations placed on how the recording can be used.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Just a nit to pick, but are you referring to what might have been called a "regional conference" in the past, or are you referring to the current practice of holding a stake conference simultaneously in a defined region with the majority portion of the conference coming from Salt Lake? I'm going to assume here in my comments you mean the latter.
DeeGardiner wrote:1) Are regional conferences broadcast more than once so we could hold two sessions?

2) Are regional conferences available via the Internet in addition to satellite? We now have video streaming ability between buildings, but for a regional conference we would only use the receive end at a second building.

I would assume that the answer to question 1 is dependent on the region being covered. My (highly uninformed) guess is that #2 will become a reality someday, but right now it is not.

Our stake did #3 during our last broadcast. Our illustrious stake technology folks even outdid themselves by broadcasting the local opening (stake president greeting, opening hymn and prayer) then switching to the broadcast. It can be done. :)

Details in this post. See the third paragraph. (Note that our stake is not using the communicator box, but doing something more like the 2.0 beta that is just coming out.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:It is quite important that this permission is sought and received. The permission received may have limitations placed on how the recording can be used.
Agreed. In this case, it was all clearly explained in the instructions in the letter. We followed the instructions exactly as we received them. (Scary thought, eh?)

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”