New Mormon Channel iPhone/iPod App Available

Any discussions around the Mormon Radio Channel App on various mobile and electronic devices
nielsondc-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

New Mormon Channel iPhone/iPod App Available

Post by nielsondc-p40 »

I am pleased to report that the free Mormon Channel iPhone application is now available. This application allows iPhone users to tune into content being broadcast on the Mormon Channel, as well as listen to audio recordings of General Conference addresses, magazine articles, and the Church’s standard works. This application also works on the iPod Touch.

Get it here.
WelchTC

We need your help!

Post by WelchTC »

The Church just recently launched a new iPhone app, called “LDS Radio”. It is a streaming application to play content from the Mormon Channel (radio.lds.org) as well as other content, such as the scriptures, magazine articles, etc. You can see the application in iTunes by visiting
this link.

So far the reviews of the application are EXCELLENT. Except we have one individual who is obviously not friendly with the Church and is writing bad reviews that have NOTHING to do with the application. Please go to the iTunes store and click the “report a concern” link next to his review. The review is entitled “Is that Mormon rock? Well, turn it up!” and it was posted by “Staka Lee”. Also, if you want to write a review (positive or negative) go for it! We value all feedback. But please...keep it about the program. ;)

Also, you can keep track of the movements of this program by visiting it's wiki page here

Thanks

Tom
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Here's a page that picked up the app for its listings almost immediately after it was posted on the App Store. You can comment about and rate the app here too, I already have.
http://www.appsafari.com/religion/9364/lds-radio/
kylehart

Post by kylehart »

Congratulations in the iPhone app. According to the wiki it streams using MSS.

Are these streams using RTSP via MSS? If not, any chance you can publish the raw stream?

A raw MP3 stream would be even better. :)

I'd like to remove the chains of my computer and put this on my and my father's internet radio in the living room.

I think it's better to have this type of programming throughout the house rather than just in the computer room.

Thanks
jbh001

LDS Radio app 1.0 bugs

Post by jbh001 »

I've got some bug reports, but I'm not sure where the best place to report them is. I want to do more than just rate the app.

1. The LDS Radio app shuts down when the iPhone goes to sleep either manually or automatically (via Auto-Lock) .

In contrast, the iPod functions within the iPhone and the MPR Radio app do not do this but continue to play while the iPhone is asleep.

This means that not only does the display have to remain lit, running down the battery, but the touch screen also remains active to input.

For example, while listening to LDS Radio while mowing my lawn with my iPhone in my pants pocket, every so often I would move just right that it would trigger the app to switch to a different stream such as from Radio to Scriptures or Conference.

2. The LDS Radio app appears to have difficultly connecting to the stream via the cellular network, and frequently crashes upon start up.

One way I have worked around this when it keeps happening is to start the MPR Radio app first, let it connect to its stream, and then shut it down and start the LDS Radio app. The LDS Radio app then seems to be able to figure out how to access the stream via the cellular network instead of immediately crashing upon launch or getting stuck in an endless "Waiting for stream" mode.

3. While the app will play through the headphone jack when the iPhone Ring/Silent switch is set to Silent, it will not play through speakers connected via the Dock Connector unless the Ring/Silent switch is set to Ring.
shawnlg-p40

Post by shawnlg-p40 »

It's a good first start. I too am concerned about the display having to always be on. Can't be good for the display to leave it on all day. I have lots of other radio turners on my iPhone, and they all work when it is sleeping. I am guessing these are easy tweaks to fix and we'll see them in the next version.

How about an online schedule?
How about LDS web cams?
How about also providing the BYU radio streams?

See, you give me and inch and I want the world :)

Thanks for the app.

Shawn
Shawn
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:I've got some bug reports, but I'm not sure where the best place to report them is. I want to do more than just rate the app.
I have gone ahead and reported your bugs into the Community Jira issue tracking system. That's the best way the developers of the app will see the bugs.

You can see them here: https://tech.lds.org/jira/secure/IssueN ... nent=10013

Although, maybe you have to be logged in or registered as a Community developer first...not really sure...
shawnlg-p40

Post by shawnlg-p40 »

I can see the bug report and I'm not registered.

The bit rate seems to be a 64kbps stream after looking at my data usage.
Shawn
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mkmurray wrote:I have gone ahead and reported your bugs into the Community Jira issue tracking system. That's the best way the developers of the app will see the bugs.

You can see them here: https://tech.lds.org/jira/secure/IssueN ... nent=10013
I can see the bug reports you submitted in my behalf just fine, and have 3 words by way of response:

Wow!
Cool!
Thanks!
TechnoBabel-p40

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

That's nice and everything, but I wish the app worked on MY phone.

Return to “Mormon Radio Channel”