MAC Genealogy Program

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
sgtbob-p40

MAC Genealogy Program

Post by sgtbob-p40 »

Are any plans afoot for the LDS to offer a genealogy program in the subject software? I have tried a number of MAC based genealogies, but would sure like to see a program similar to PAF. Right now I am using a Virtual Machine program (Fusion) to run the Windows programs that will not work on my MAC.

Bob
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sgtbob wrote:Are any plans afoot for the LDS to offer a genealogy program in the subject software? I have tried a number of MAC based genealogies, but would sure like to see a program similar to PAF. Right now I am using a Virtual Machine program (Fusion) to run the Windows programs that will not work on my MAC.

Bob
Since the Church is no longer working even on PAF for Windows, I don't see any indication that anything would be developed for Mac. The Church's development efforts are focused on New FamilySearch, and other online offerings, rather than a desktop solution.

There are a number of third-party genealogy programs that work on Mac that can interchange files with PAF. I'd recommend you look up some of those. You might take a look at this thread for a couple of ideas.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

sgtbob wrote:Are any plans afoot for the LDS to offer a genealogy program in the subject software? I have tried a number of MAC based genealogies, but would sure like to see a program similar to PAF. Right now I am using a Virtual Machine program (Fusion) to run the Windows programs that will not work on my MAC.

Bob
If PAF as it stands would suffice for at least some of your needs, you could try using PAF under Wine. Some instructions are available on the AppDB page for PAF 5 with Wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1706

If you have suggestions for improving the instructions for using PAF on MAC, please send them to me. I don't have a MAC myself, so I rely on those who do to keep the instructions current.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Bob
What does PAF do that the other programs do not do? Can't quite tell what you're in search of.
njpomeroy

Post by njpomeroy »

I've used Reunion http://www.leisterpro.com/ and GEDitCOM http://www.geditcom.com/ both and they have been good apps. There are a lot of other apps, too. I really haven't needed PAF ever. Our local stake gene'gy library would hold "software training classes" occasionally, and would only teach using PAF, and that made a lot people fell like they *had* to use it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

njpomeroy wrote:Our local stake gene'gy library would hold "software training classes" occasionally, and would only teach using PAF, and that made a lot people fell like they *had* to use it.
Now they will be only teaching newFamilySearch. It is also not the only way to get family history or temple ready work done. But the FHC workers cannot be expected to learn every program out there and teach them. Some initiative on the part of individuals is good also.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Family History”