Deleted returned check from wrong batch

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bruce56rt

Deleted returned check from wrong batch

Post by bruce56rt »

I, unfortunately, deleted a returned check from the wrong batch (the day became the month, and you know what happened next!). I need to fix that batch and remove it from the right batch.

I sent an email from MLS to SLC requesting assistance but haven't heard back from them yet.

Is the correct process for them to reverse the removal? Or is there something else I can do?

Bruce ....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bruce56rt wrote:I, unfortunately, deleted a returned check from the wrong batch (the day became the month, and you know what happened next!). I need to fix that batch and remove it from the right batch.

I sent an email from MLS to SLC requesting assistance but haven't heard back from them yet.

Is the correct process for them to reverse the removal? Or is there something else I can do?
CHQ can't reverse the removal -- it must be done on your local MLS. CHQ can change batch amounts, but it can't change your local records. If CHQ were to make a change on their side, but you never made the change on your side, you'd have reconciliation problems now, and audit problems later. One task the auditors have is to check the batch and make sure that the MLS and financial statement amounts agree.

However, there's no need to fear. Just make the corrections in MLS, and they will get transmitted to CHQ, and then you'll be back in synch.

When you said you "deleted a returned check", I assume you mean you deleted the entire donation for that check from the batch. That's what you would typically do, unless one donation slip had more than one check, or a check plus cash. If you erroneously deleted a donation from the batch, all you need to do is to add it back in. Then that batch should be back to the way it was (except that there will be notations of the deletion and the addition, but that's to be expected).

Then you can go to the correct batch and delete the appropriate donation from there. Print out the adjusted batch reports and file them. Make sure you do a Send/Receive so that your corrections will be sent on to CHQ.

That should do it.
bruce56rt

Post by bruce56rt »

Thanks. I did mean I deleted the donation from the batch.

When you say "add it back in" does that mean create a new donation or correct the one I set as deleted? I was under the impression (at least from MLS) that once deleted it could not be changed.

Bruce ....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bruce56rt wrote:When you say "add it back in" does that mean create a new donation or correct the one I set as deleted? I was under the impression (at least from MLS) that once deleted it could not be changed.
The original donation is now no longer in the batch, so you're right that it cannot be corrected. But you can add new donations to a closed batch, and that's what you need to do -- refer back to the original donation slip to make sure you recreate the donation with the correct donor, amounts for each category, and check number.
bruce56rt

Post by bruce56rt »

Alan_Brown wrote:The original donation is now no longer in the batch, so you're right that it cannot be corrected. But you can add new donations to a closed batch, and that's what you need to do -- refer back to the original donation slip to make sure you recreate the donation with the correct donor, amounts for each category, and check number.
Thanks again. I'll give that a try. Appreciate your response.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”