New FamilySearch throughout Utah and Idaho in read-only mode

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mkmurray wrote:I tried with my wife's information, who has never registered on old or new FamilySearch, and was given the message that it's not available in our area yet.

I think that confirms it then.
Yup, same here.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

The beta test that I mentioned this morning has been post-poned.

"Dear Member,
There are a couple of issues we need to fix before we can start testing new FamilySearch. Please do not test until you receive your test instructions. We hope to be ready to test within a day or two.

Thank you for your patience and assistance in testing new FamilySearch.

Family History Department
New FamilySearch Test Release Team"
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Alan_Brown wrote:So are you in with full access or read-only access? If you have full access, you'll see a bunch of Edit links on pretty much every person you look at, but if you are in read-only mode, you won't see any Edit links.
I registered my in-laws (Davis County) on Wednesday and didn't have any problems. They have full access. We were able to edit existing records and it shows my father-in-law as the person editing the record.

We took an ordinance request from my account to the Ogden temple and they were able to print cards from it. We didn't have anything to submit, or I'd have tried running an ordinance request through my in-laws' account.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

scgallafent wrote:I registered my in-laws (Davis County) on Wednesday and didn't have any problems. They have full access. We were able to edit existing records and it shows my father-in-law as the person editing the record.

We took an ordinance request from my account to the Ogden temple and they were able to print cards from it. We didn't have anything to submit, or I'd have tried running an ordinance request through my in-laws' account.
But, you haven't really proved anything unless you can verify that your in-laws never had old FamilySearch accounts registered.

I had an old FS account and got in fine with Edit ability, but my wife never had one and was unable to register for new FS yet.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mkmurray wrote:I had an old FS account and got in fine with Edit ability, but my wife never had one and was unable to register for new FS yet.
This makes me wonder if it is still possible to register for the old FamilySearch. Specifically:

1. If I have never registered for anything, can I register for the old FamilySearch, and then register for the new FamilySearch and get access.

2. If I never regestered for the old FamilySearch and new FamilySearch didn't let me register, can I still go back and register for old FamilySearch and then re-attempt the registration with new FamilySearch.

(I don't know if I worded that well because it even made my head spin just to type it.) :)

Note: in my case all of this is moot, because I have already registered for the old FamilySearch, and because I live in a temple district that has already gone live with nFS, I have had access to new FamilySearch for about a year already.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scgallafent wrote:I registered my in-laws (Davis County) on Wednesday and didn't have any problems. They have full access. We were able to edit existing records and it shows my father-in-law as the person editing the record.
mkmurray wrote:But, you haven't really proved anything unless you can verify that your in-laws never had old FamilySearch accounts registered.
Indeed, that post doesn't answer the question of the whether an old FS account is required in order to register in Utah/Idaho for New FS.

But it does raise a new question. It appears that some people in Utah/Idaho are now able to register and get full access. If that is true for any significant number of people, then we've got a support issue on our hands. My wife was given full access, but I called that a fluke, since I assumed that the FS Support people got tired of the problems they had giving her read-only access, so they just threw in the towel and gave her full access. But perhaps full access is available to more regular members than I thought.

Stakes are supposed to have at least 90 days notice before NFS is available to their membership at large, so that they have time to get all the consultants trained, communication and support plans in place, etc. If a significant number of people can get access before that support structure is in place, we might have some problems.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:If I have never registered for anything, can I register for the old FamilySearch, and then register for the new FamilySearch and get access.
The answer to the first part is definitely yes. There's nothing stopping anyone from registering for old FS (if they had not previously registered there).

The second part of the question is what I asked in this post earlier in the thread, and that seems to have mixed results.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Alan_Brown wrote:It appears that some people in Utah/Idaho are now able to register and get full access.
I guess we (those on this forum) haven't seen enough data to determine if this is a random thing or if the access is tied to specific temple districts or something.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Stakes are supposed to have at least 90 days notice before NFS is available to their membership at large, so that they have time to get all the consultants trained, communication and support plans in place, etc. If a significant number of people can get access before that support structure is in place, we might have some problems.

When nFS rolled out in our area, there were some communication problems. When it all ended, the support structure had gotten about a one week head start over the general membership.

It all worked out ok, but consultants and leaders had to scramble to be able to provide real help above and beyond the "I tried this and it worked" level of answering questions.

The biggest challenge we had was that the FHCs turned off TempleReady before nFS went live in some temple districts. And after the switch, patrons had to travel several hours to a nFS temple to get ordinance requests turned into real cards before they could go on vacation to other areas where they actually would be doing the work at temples not on nFS.

But again, we worked through all of it, following the time-honored tradition that convenience is not an option. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Renee's Genealogy Blog usually keeps up with these things. According to her sources, the "read only" was dropped and the plan now is for consultants to help the members search for dupes for members in those areas.

The pop-up in FamilySearch has changed. It now reads "Temple ordinance information is no longer updated in the International Genealogical Index (IGI). Church members who wish to verify completed temple ordinances for their deceased ancestors may contact a family history consultant, or visit a local family history center for assistance."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”