MLS 3.0 Vista Compatibility

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbh001

MLS 3.0 Vista Compatibility

Post by jbh001 »

I don't have a way to test this myself, but is MLS 3.0 compatible with Vista?

MLS 2.9 isn't without some tweaking.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

MLS 3.0 is not any more compatible with Vista than 2.9.4 is. The main issue is actually an Afaria client that transmits the data for MLS on the local machines. It is not compatible with Vista. This will change in the future, but for now it won't work well with Vista.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

DJC wrote:MLS 3.0 is not any more compatible with Vista than 2.9.4 is. The main issue is actually an Afaria client that transmits the data for MLS on the local machines. It is not compatible with Vista. This will change in the future, but for now it won't work well with Vista.
Indeed, I have tested this and find it to be true. With the right compatibility mode, the test installation of MLS 3.0 works just fine under Vista, exactly as MLS 2.9 did. Of course, with a test installation, the Afaria client is not used, so any problems in that area would not be an issue.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

MLS 2.9.x and 3.0 (without Afaria) also run in Windows 7 (RC1) with XP compatibility mode selected. No real surprise there.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Mikerowaved wrote:MLS 2.9.x and 3.0 (without Afaria) also run in Windows 7 (RC1) with XP compatibility mode selected. No real surprise there.
With or without tweaking?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:With or without tweaking?
If you are referring to the tweaking you mentioned in your first post, it is the same tweaking (namely doing XP compatibility mode). In my opinion, that is not much tweaking.

Windows 7 may make it easier now that they are offering an option download for Windows 7 that is an XP virtual machine, which runs in an integrated-type mode where it looks like it's all part of the Windows 7 desktop.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jbh001 wrote:With or without tweaking?
No real tweaking other than setting MLS.exe to run in XP compatibility mode.

FYI, for the test I was running Windows 7 x64 (RC1) in a virtual environment under Windows Server 2008 using Hyper-V.

I haven't turned on Windows 7 XP VM yet. Too busy with July activities. :( Soon...
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LTORDUSA1-p40

MLS 3.0 in Vista mode

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

How do I tweek MLS 3.0 to run in XP mode?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

LTORDUSA1 wrote:How do I tweek MLS 3.0 to run in XP mode?
It's not MLS that gets tweaked. Goto the file properties select the compatibility tab check the box for compatibility mode then select the OS from the list
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

I'm running the Win7 Beta (x64) on my laptop. I installed MLS and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (I tried SP2 and SP3). I then configured it for the test unit and stake.

MLS will let me login but when I go to logout, it tells me that I have to save finance data and then when I click OK, I immediately see another window that says "an error has occured". I click OK to this window and MLS is back running normal again. I cannot logout. The only way to quit MLS is to force a quit via Task Manager. Any thoughts?
kd7mha wrote:It's not MLS that gets tweaked. Goto the file properties select the compatibility tab check the box for compatibility mode then select the OS from the list

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”