New FamilySearch throughout Utah and Idaho in read-only mode

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
pbhanney

Post by pbhanney »

Alan_Brown wrote: 2. If old FS registration is indeed required, can a member without an old account register for old FS, then immediately register with new FS?

I just registered my wife for the old family search. I then went and tried to register her for the new family search. It gave me the same message that the new family search is not available in our area. I have used the old family search for years and I was able to get in. We'll wait to see if it works within the next 24 hours to see if this is a possibility.
pbhanney

Helper Mode

Post by pbhanney »

OK, so I logged into NFS as myself, went to the Home tab, and clicked on "Sign in to help someone else." I then had to put my wife's name, her birthdate, and the last five digits of her member number. It then let me see her information and her ancestry (which really helped to find the FSID of her parents and grandparents so I could add them to my database). I then logged in to Helper Mode and put in my daughter's information. It was pretty easy to see her 4 generations and beyond (anything like Buzz Lightyear?).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:In both communications, it was mentioned that having an account with old FamilySearch is a prerequisite to being able to register with new FamilySearch. Is that really a requirement?

I have used New FamilySearch for a long time. I began using it when it rolled out in my temple district last year.

I have never, ever had a login or used (old) FamilySearch. I do not believe a registration on the old system is required to access nFS.

And to confirm the answer already given to your 3rd question, I was able to assist my wife in nFS helper mode long before she ever registered for nFS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I have never, ever had a login or used (old) FamilySearch. I do not believe a registration on the old system is required to access nFS.
Although I certainly believe you, I'm not so sure your experience is relevant. We're talking here about a new read-only mode of nFS, with two different places specifically mentioning the requirement to be registered on old FS. Such a requirement is conceivable for this mode, but it still seems odd, and I'd love to find out that it is not a requirement.

What we need is someone from Utah/Idaho who is not registered as a consultant or registered on old FamilySearch to attempt to register on nFS. Only if such a person can register on nFS would the prior registration be proved to be superfluous. I have a couple of adult children that could be my guinea pigs, if no one else is able to test that scenario.
lajackson wrote:And to confirm the answer already given to your 3rd question, I was able to assist my wife in nFS helper mode long before she ever registered for nFS.
I do believe that your response and jdlessley's give sufficient evidence on this question. That's a good answer for those of us in Utah and Idaho, since it means that we should be able to help people with temple submissions after that mid-July change in procedures, even if they may be experiencing challenges in registering themselves.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:What we need is someone from Utah/Idaho who is not registered as a consultant or registered on old FamilySearch to attempt to register on nFS. Only if such a person can register on nFS would the prior registration be proved to be superfluous.
I'll bite.

I don't believe I have ever registered on FamilySearch (I can't remember for sure). I just went to new.familysearch.org and successfully registered and logged in. I live in Utah County.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:I'll bite.

I don't believe I have ever registered on FamilySearch (I can't remember for sure). I just went to new.familysearch.org and successfully registered and logged in. I live in Utah County.
Thanks for doing the test. That's somewhat comforting (but would be more comforting if you could remember for sure ;)). You can always go to http://www.familysearch.org, try to sign in, and use the "if you have forgotten your username or password, click here" link to see if you do have an existing registration there.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:I just went to new.familysearch.org and successfully registered and logged in.
So are you in with full access or read-only access? If you have full access, you'll see a bunch of Edit links on pretty much every person you look at, but if you are in read-only mode, you won't see any Edit links.

The reason I ask, is that my wife actually got full access this morning, even though she only requested read-only access. I thought at the time that perhaps that was because they were having so many problems with her account that they just gave up and gave her full access.

I'm trying to decide how that theory fits in with the e-mail she just received from FamilySearch Support that says:
Due to the many problems we have found, Read Only Access has been discontinued. Please see your ward consultant for help with processing names for the temple.
That just raises more questions. They seem to imply that my wife would not be able to register, but she does have access. Was my wife's registration a fluke? Was yours? When did they discontinue read-only access? Is it really discontinued? The e-mail to my wife was at 2:06pm MDT today, but your post was at 2:45pm MDT. Hmmmmm....
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:So are you in with full access or read-only access? If you have full access, you'll see a bunch of Edit links on pretty much every person you look at, but if you are in read-only mode, you won't see any Edit links.
I went to my great-grandmother and clicked one of many Edit links on her details. I was given the following message, though if I understand correctly how the new FamilySearch works, this doesn't mean I only have read-only access:
Because you did not contribute this information, you cannot edit it. You can add another opinion of this information. The system keeps
all opinions.
I assume I have full access.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks for doing the test. That's somewhat comforting (but would be more comforting if you could remember for sure ;)). You can always go to http://www.familysearch.org, try to sign in, and use the "if you have forgotten your username or password, click here" link to see if you do have an existing registration there.
Oh, darn it! I do remember registering for old FamilySearch. I doubt my wife has though. I could try registering her tonight and see what happens.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:Oh, darn it! I do remember registering for old FamilySearch. I doubt my wife has though. I could try registering her tonight and see what happens.
I tried with my wife's information, who has never registered on old or new FamilySearch, and was given the message that it's not available in our area yet.

I think that confirms it then.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”