MLS 3.0 full download available

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

MLS 3.0 full download available

Post by aebrown »

This morning the full download of MLS 3.0 is available on mls.lds.org (see the basic download instructions on the wiki at MLS Installation and Repair).

The download is listed as a beta (version 3.0.0b5) but it is indeed version 3.0.0_15688 that was downloaded automatically for everyone over the weekend. Although the beta is dated June 12, the beta page on mls.lds.org requests that we submit any feedback no later than June 8. Good luck!
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Um, July 8th?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:This morning the full download of MLS 3.0 is available on mls.lds.org (see the basic download instructions on the wiki at MLS Installation and Repair).

The download is listed as a beta (version 3.0.0b5) but it is indeed version 3.0.0_15688 that was downloaded automatically for everyone over the weekend. Although the beta is dated June 12, the beta page on mls.lds.org requests that we submit any feedback no later than June 8. Good luck!
Strange, I checked on Friday, 19 June, and we have not received MLS 3.0 at the stake after doing send/receives on Sunday and on Wednesday. After going to the MLS download site I saw the link to download MLS 2.9.4 (91.4M) (Updated 1 May 2009) and the MLS 3.0.0b6 Beta Test (Updated 19 June 2009). The beta says it is MLS 3.0.0b6 (Build: 15703, Size: 92.8M). After install of the beta 6 installer MLS indicated that it was version 3.0.0_15703. So I am guessing that the full version of MLS 3.0 is still not available and that it is still in beta.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:So I am guessing that the full version of MLS 3.0 is still not available and that it is still in beta.
Well, yes; that fact is undisputed by everyone who has discussed MLS 3.0 thus far. You may be "behind the curve" because I know that you were out of town during this time that all of this confusion had occurred. If you read around a bit more, you will find out that MLS 3.0 beta was accidentally to units that were not on the beta program.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan's post above indicates that the full version of MLS 3.0 is available. To me that means it is not in beta. If I am confused then I am certain others are also. Adding to my confusion was the statement "... that was downloaded automatically for everyone over the weekend." (emphasis added)
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
PNMarkW2

Post by PNMarkW2 »

Hey, I'm a new Ward Clerk (for the second time)...where would I get the user name and password to access the MLS download site?
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Alan's post above indicates that the full version of MLS 3.0 is available. To me that means it is not in beta. If I am confused then I am certain others are also. Adding to my confusion was the statement "... that was downloaded automatically for everyone over the weekend." (emphasis added)
In the confusion of that weekend, I made a statement that was too strong. There were many wards and stakes that do not participate in the the beta program for whom MLS 3.0 was automatically downloaded last weekend. At the time, no one was mentioning a situation where it didn't download, so I assumed it was everyone.

Regarding the software development life cycle, MLS 3.0 is still "in beta." I think it's clear that the MLS team did not intend to release it so broadly, and that the software, although pretty good, has several problems that are still being worked on. The fact that a new beta release, still numbered 3.0 (3.0.0b6), is available this weekend confirms that.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

PNMarkW2 wrote:Hey, I'm new a new Ward Clerk (for the second time)...where would I get the user name and password to access the MLS download site?
See the wiki article MLS Installation and Repair for instructions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

MLS 3.0.0b7 (build 15739) is now available

Post by aebrown »

A new beta build is available on mls.lds.org. It is called MLS 3.0.0b7 or MLS 3.0.0_15739. I assume that means that all units that are on MLS 3.0.0 will have an automatic update downloaded the next time they do a Send/Receive. The beta message on mls.lds.org requests any feedback by Monday, June 29.

Although something must have changed between beta 6 and beta 7, I can't find a single difference. The list of standardized callings is the same, the Release Notes are the same (right down to the quirky numbering 1,1,2 instead of 1,2,3), and none of the bugs reported on this forum seem to be fixed, such as MLS 3.0 Issue: First item in selection lists, or MLS 3.0 Issue: Can't deactivate missionary accounts. I'm sure there must be some changes, but I can't find any right now.

If anyone does find differences, or new issues, please post them in the MLS 3.0 Issues? Post them here thread, or in an appropriate existing thread.
ffrsqpilot

Recent Build

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I did another send/recieve yesterday and obtained the most recent build. There are still some major problems with it. I found one of the problems this morning (Monday) when I had to enter some temple recommends. Several of us found the initial problem a week or so ago and discussed it in an earlier thread. I personally called the tech reps at Salt Lake and talked to them. They were initially unaware there was a problem but after I walked it through with them they said "indeed there is a bug with the search portion".

I was hoping the most recent build would have solved the problem but it has only gotten worse. After activating a recommend it appears that the computer "locks up". It doesn't really but after waiting for several minutes for something to happen I had to do the "three finger salute" and close down MLS. I was able to log back in and try again. The same thing happened - computer seemed to lock up but I waited for several more minutes and then things really got weird. Double entries for dozens of names and ..... well I called Salt Lake to ask what was going on. Bottom line - they are aware of the problems and are working them. I was given the following ---- full (and final I hope) version of MLS 3.0 (not a beta version) will be downloaded to all church computers over the 4th of July weekend.

Until then, for any of you needing to enter temple recommends, it is easier to do it via tes than wading through the MLS process.

Hope this helps and give everyone a heads up that the MLS folks are working the issues and will have something better next week.

Jim

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”