New Ward-set up questions-expense checks

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
Orrin Schwab-p40

New Ward-set up questions-expense checks

Post by Orrin Schwab-p40 »

Our ward was recently split/combined and a new ward was created. I am financial clerk in the new ward. The first Sunday we got the signature cards prepared and I mailed them off Monday June 15th. My question is, how long do we need to wait before we are authorized to begin writing expense checks for reimbursement and/or welfare?

Thanks,

Orrin Schwab
Providence, UTah
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Orrin Schwab wrote:Our ward was recently split/combined and a new ward was created. I am financial clerk in the new ward. The first Sunday we got the signature cards prepared and I mailed them off Monday June 15th. My question is, how long do we need to wait before we are authorized to begin writing expense checks for reimbursement and/or welfare?
You don't need to wait. I imagine the signature card has already been received if you mailed it 4 days ago. But in any case, the checks will clear just fine. As long as they were printed from MLS and transmitted, they will be in the PositivePay system. Any checking of signatures happens later, and the result of non-matching signatures would be a letter from CHQ to the bishop.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I can't remember where I read it or if I heard it from a previous clerk, but my understanding is that as soon as the Signature Card is in the mail you are good to go. This somewhat confirms what Alan said. Again, I can't remember where I got this tidbit from but it is something that I have related to all new clerks and Bishoprics that have happened in our stake. I make it a priority (especially when a new Bishopric is called) to have the signature card ready to go when the block meetings are over and we have a training session with the new Bishopric and the Stake President. I pretty much do the same thing with new clerks. To date, I have never heard of any of the units having any problems with signing checks or authorizing donation batches.

So I believe Alan's advice is correct - there is no reason to wait as long as the card is in the mail.

Jim
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Pilotfly wrote:I can't remember where I read it or if I heard it from a previous clerk, but my understanding is that as soon as the Signature Card is in the mail you are good to go.
Perhaps you are thinking of the wiki article Signature card, which says exactly that near the end of the article.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”