IPhone Membership Tools

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Rocky Nelson-p40

IPhone Membership Tools

Post by Rocky Nelson-p40 »

Has anyone developed a database or program to import mls data into the iphone? I use wardtools and loved it on a smartphone but have missed it since switching to the iphone. Any help would be appreciated.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

There is some information in this thread. Never tried it myself.
bolingbrokeba

iWard

Post by bolingbrokeba »

Check out the iWard application in iTunes. It will synchronize your ward directory from the Local Unit Website.
big2thumbs-p40

Ward Tools

Post by big2thumbs-p40 »

I bought ($30) Ward Tools for my iPhone a few weeks ago and I love it. I use it about every other day. As a bishop, it's very valuable.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

big2thumbs wrote:I bought ($30) Ward Tools for my iPhone a few weeks ago and I love it. I use it about every other day. As a bishop, it's very valuable.

Thanks. My bishop is looking for an iPhone app. (He started to use Ward List, but discontinued it after we learned that the Ward List app used a third-party web site for its load process, contravening church guidance.)

Ward Tools apparently uses a PC-based method to load the iPhone database with the MLS export data via a local wireless network. Does that work well?

BTW, it appears to me that Ward Tools recently was made free.
danpass

Full Version of Ward Tools now free

Post by danpass »

boomerbubba wrote:Ward Tools apparently uses a PC-based method to load the iPhone database with the MLS export data via a local wireless network. Does that work well?
I briefly saw it in operation on a friend's iPhone and it seems to have been implemented very well and he has been very happy with it. He is not very confident when it comes to computer use, but he had no difficulty getting the data loaded.
boomerbubba wrote:BTW, it appears to me that Ward Tools recently was made free.
Nice! Thanks for the tip!
jbh001

Is Ward Tools compatible with MLS 3.0?

Post by jbh001 »

With Ward Tools for the iPhone recently becoming free, I took advantage of it and installed it on my iPhone. However, I keep running into errors when converting the exported MLS .csv files using the Ward Tools utilities provided from its website.

This is making me wonder if the MLS 3.0 beta has somehow made the exported MLS files incompatible with Ward Tools for the iPhone.

Anyone else experiencing problems like this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:This is making me wonder if the MLS 3.0 beta has somehow made the exported MLS files incompatible with Ward Tools for the iPhone.

Anyone else experiencing problems like this.
Some changes to the MLS export files for 3.0 were reported in this post and the one following. It could very well be a similar issue (or even the exact same issue) that you are experiencing.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jbh001 wrote:With Ward Tools for the iPhone recently becoming free, I took advantage of it and installed it on my iPhone. However, I keep running into errors when converting the exported MLS .csv files using the Ward Tools utilities provided from its website.

I tried using the MLS Converter utility I downloaded from LDSTools.com against the four standard MLS export files I had pulled yesterday. I also got an error, displayed in the attached file. Is that the same error message you got?

My bet is that the converter flunked the validation of Membership.csv because the two Geo Code column headers changed case in MLS 3.0. I don't use Ward Tools myself, so I have no other experience with its conversion utility.
Attachments
WardToolsError.PNG
WardToolsError.PNG (9.53 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:I tried using the MLS Converter utility I downloaded from LDSTools.com against the four standard MLS export files I had pulled yesterday. I also got an error, displayed in the attached file. Is that the same error message you got?

My bet is that the converter flunked the validation of Membership.csv because the two Geo Code column headers changed case in MLS 3.0. I don't use Ward Tools myself, so I have no other experience with its conversion utility.
However, the only difference that I can find is that the two columns that had "GEO Code" in the column header now have "Geo Code". You should be able to take an MLS 3.0 export file, edit those two column headers using any text editor to be "GEO" instead of "Geo" and then the export files should be identical to MLS 2.x. It's certainly worth a try.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”