bringing one record to one unit while family is in other

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
colbyj-p40

bringing one record to one unit while family is in other

Post by colbyj-p40 »

Hello, I am a stake clerk. Here's the situation: we have a small branch in our stake (French speaking). The family of one of the members of the branch presidency attends another ward (english speaking). The clerk of the french branch is trying to bring just the record of the father into the french branch, while leaving his family in their current ward. Here's how he described it...appreciate any help:
The issue is not whether or not I can request his record, but it is the ability to have his record, but not bring his whole family. There is an option for creating a record for someone who is part of another unit, but it seems that you actually have to build the whole record from scratch and input all of the data that is already in his original record. I was just wondering if you knew of an easier way
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

colbyj wrote:Hello, I am a stake clerk. Here's the situation: we have a small branch in our stake (French speaking). The family of one of the members of the branch presidency attends another ward (english speaking). The clerk of the french branch is trying to bring just the record of the father into the french branch, while leaving his family in their current ward. Here's how he described it...appreciate any help:
The issue is not whether or not I can request his record, but it is the ability to have his record, but not bring his whole family. There is an option for creating a record for someone who is part of another unit, but it seems that you actually have to build the whole record from scratch and input all of the data that is already in his original record. I was just wondering if you knew of an easier way
The French branch should definitely not request the father's record. That record needs to remain in the ward where he lives.

What he described as "an option for creating a record for someone who is part of another unit" is called "Out of unit member" and is precisely the option you need to use in this situation. Unfortunately it is mostly true that you have to build the record from scratch. I say "mostly" because it is not necessary to input absolutely everything about the member in his Out of Unit record in the French branch.

For example, you don't need to enter who baptized and confirmed the person, any priesthood ordinations except the last one, sealing to parents, endowment, mission, etc. He will not be part of the quarterly report statistics. It's important to enter the record number, especially if they will be using MLS, and priesthood ordinations, and of course all the required fields. But if you have an Individual Ordinance Summary, you can create the record in just a few minutes. It's really not that hard.

But the branch clerk can take comfort in knowing that he's not the only person who would like an easier way to create Out of Unit records without having to enter so much data. This has been requested on the MLS: Feedback and Suggestions page on the wiki.
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

Wouldn't it be easier to have the English speaking Ward forward the one record to the French speaking Ward?

I had to do this for a family in my Ward who the Head of House has moved interstate, but the wife and kids are still in our Ward. Eventually they will all be together again when the rest of the family will move. The Ward Clerk in the other Ward will need to request the rest of the family's record and add it to the Husband's details as Head of House... if that makes sense.
..::[ Kolisi Kepu ]::..
Joomla King
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kolisikepu wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to have the English speaking Ward forward the one record to the French speaking Ward?
I think you'd need to consider what it would do to the family in the English-speaking ward. You'd end up separating the couple and making the mother the Head-of-House. I know in the case of a married member serving in a Singles ward, that the record is to stay in the home ward. I don't recall if that's the case for language wards or not. I'd suggest consulting the CHI.

In the case you cited, the father actually moved. I see that as a different situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kolisikepu wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to have the English speaking Ward forward the one record to the French speaking Ward?
Not really. For information covered by the situation in this thread see the LDSTech Wiki page Moving Membership Records. The recommendation there is to create an out of unit member record for the French speaking branch.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I think Alan_Brown gave sound advice when he said that the "record needs to remain in the ward where he lives." This is his true ward, even if a calling takes him to another ward/branch every Sunday. MLS does provide means to handle this brother also being "accounted for" in the other unit in which he is serving, and that means is Out of Unit member records.
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

mkmurray wrote:I think Alan_Brown gave sound advice when he said that the "record needs to remain in the ward where he lives." This is his true ward, even if a calling takes him to another ward/branch every Sunday. MLS does provide means to handle this brother also being "accounted for" in the other unit in which he is serving, and that means is Out of Unit member records.
Got it!! Maybe I misunderstood the original Post.
..::[ Kolisi Kepu ]::..
Joomla King
colbyj-p40

Post by colbyj-p40 »

thanks everyone for your help. I've really appreciated the assistance I've received via these forums and your quick responses! thanks!
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

You might also want to check out this page Temporary Membership Records on the wiki for more information on creating Out of Unit Records. They are usually used for Bishoprics for Young Single Adult wards, but would definitely apply in this case as well.
Caleb
colbyj-p40

Post by colbyj-p40 »

Okay, in our Stake Presidency meeting tonight we discussed this, and we were not sure about how the stewardship works out in this situation. If the brother's record remains in the ward where he lives, but his "out of unit" record puts him kind of in limbo. Questions, since his record still resides in his "home" ward:
- where would he pay tithing?
- who would interview him for temple recommend (his "home" Bishop, or the President of the Branch in which his serving in the presidency?)
- for priesthood advancement, he'd need an interview from his Bishop, then stake Presidency... but we're wondering who does the initial interview for him? the branch president or his "home" bishop?

thanks,

Return to “Membership Help”