Missionary Fund withdrawl and time of service

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jpapke-p40

Missionary Fund withdrawl and time of service

Post by jpapke-p40 »

Hi All,
I have looked through this forum and did not find anything related to the questiong posed to me by a missionary family today. Their missionary was to return in early September (5th) but for some reason the timing is such that she will not return until late September (23rd). Is the family/missionary expected to be charged another month of expenses? The same situation occurs when missionaries come home early.
I have been told that for a full-time elder they need to make 24 $400 payments (18 for a Sister). Can someone either confirm or correct my statement?

Thanks!

Jeff Papke
Meridian Idaho North Stake Clerk.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jpapke wrote:Hi All,
I have looked through this forum and did not find anything related to the questiong posed to me by a missionary family today. Their missionary was to return in early September (5th) but for some reason the timing is such that she will not return until late September (23rd). Is the family/missionary expected to be charged another month of expenses? The same situation occurs when missionaries come home early.
I have been told that for a full-time elder they need to make 24 $400 payments (18 for a Sister). Can someone either confirm or correct my statement?

Thanks!

Jeff Papke
This thread on Missionary Finance Tips may be helpful:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3082

It describes a helpful schedule to put the family on so that payments line up with the actual service. It may have been more helpful at the beginning of missionary service, but perhaps there is a clue to your answer in that thread.

(In other words, I don't know the answer :o)
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jpapke wrote:Hi All,

Thanks!

Jeff Papke
Although I can't address myself directly to giving you an answer to your question, I would like to offer the following from our own experience.

Our son served on a full-time mission from 2003-2005. Prior to his mission I will admit that we were concerned regarding the cost of his mission and whether or not we would be able to meet the demands. I guess my faith was being tried a bit. :)

However, after 24 months had ended and we looked back on the blessings we had received, I would have been willing to keep him out another 24 months if he wanted to stay. We never missed the funds a bit and in fact, I will state for the record that I missed the blessings that we received more than the $$$ every month.

What council has the bishop of his ward given?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

The math doesn't come out evenly for sister missionaries with the 6 week transfer schedule. If they stay out exactly 18 months, then they return 1/2 way through the last transfer. My daughter was instructed to discuss her plans to leave the transfer prior to or following her 18th month with her mission president.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

We recently sent a sister missionary to the MTC on the 30th of a month. Because she was there for part of that month (one day), we were charged $400. In talking with HQ, I also found out that she would be returning (in 18 months or so) in the first week of a month and we would therefore be charged for that month as well.

From that, it would appear that your ward will be charged $400 for each month the missionary is out, even if it's only for one day of that month.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:From that, it would appear that your ward will be charged $400 for each month the missionary is out, even if it's only for one day of that month.
The wards our sister missionaries serve from have been charged for 18 months, beginning with the month of the first day of service, whether they come home during the transfer just before or just after their term of service.

The wards our elders serve from have been charged for 24 months, beginning with the month of the first day of service.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lajackson wrote:The wards our sister missionaries serve from have been charged for 18 months, beginning with the month of the first day of service, whether they come home during the transfer just before or just after their term of service.

The wards our elders serve from have been charged for 24 months, beginning with the month of the first day of service.
Ah, the joys of clerk support. You never know what's really going to happen until it has happened! I'd take lajackson's actual experience over what I was told over the phone but have not yet fully experienced!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:I'd take lajackson's actual experience over what I was told over the phone but have not yet fully experienced!
Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, but just because I said it doesn't mean it is so. It was my experience, but I also recall that the monthly ward financial report used to carry the payment number for a missionary (Elder Jones 17, Sister Smith 13).

Now, only the month of the payment is shown (Elder Jones, May Payment, Sister Smith, May Payment).

So what you were told over the phone may have some validity, although I really think it applies for extensions past the first "regular" transfer at the end of a mission.

And, if there has been a change in policy, the stake presidents and bishops have not yet been told about it. [grin]
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

The final month of the missionary's mission depends on their anniversary date (the date they entered the MTC). If they come home (regardless if they are elders or sisters) more than 15 days after their anniversary date, they will be charged for a 19th or 25th month.

I for example went into the MTC on May 2nd and was released on May 29th = 25 months of payments.
Caleb
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

CzechRM wrote:The final month of the missionary's mission depends on their anniversary date (the date they entered the MTC). If they come home (regardless if they are elders or sisters) more than 15 days after their anniversary date, they will be charged for a 19th or 25th month.

I for example went into the MTC on May 2nd and was released on May 29th = 25 months of payments.
Does this mean that for a missionary who returns home more than 15 days before the anniversary date the ward will be charged one less month?

For an English-speaking (or any native speaking) missionary who spends three weeks in the MTC, the release date is either going to be 21 days after the anniversary, or 21 days before the anniversary, depending on which of the six-weeks transfer dates the mission president uses for the release.

That means an elder would either go for 23 or 25 payments, or a sister would go for 17 or 19 payments?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”