Post "Send/Receive" Processing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ffrsqpilot

Post "Send/Receive" Processing

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Just curious I guess but as I was sitting at the stake computer this morning after doing a send/receive for some checks that I had to write, I got to wondering just what information is being "processed" at the end of the transmission.

After each transmission (or at least a great percentage of transmissions) the screen shows the following: Processing "xxxxxxxxx". The x's are obviously the unit numbers of the wards and branches in our stake. I am assuming that what is being processed is any membership data that may have been changed or upgraded during the past weekend (or since the last stake transmission). I began wondering however, if there is other data such as financial data that is also being processed. The stake computer has access to all the stake membership records but not finance data from the various units. Or do they and we just don't see it.

Thus, does anyone know exactly what is being "processed" on stake computers at the end of a send/receive.

No big deal - just wondering!

Jim
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Pilotfly wrote:...does anyone know exactly what is being "processed" on stake computers at the end of a send/receive.
Well, I don't know exactly what is being processed, but you can be sure of much of it by paying attention to what changes can occur during an MLS Send/Receive.

There is a pretty good list of everything sent and received on the wiki at MLS Transmission.
Pilotfly wrote:The stake computer has access to all the stake membership records but not finance data from the various units. Or do they and we just don't see it.
I see no evidence that financial data from units is transmitted to the stake. You certainly can't see it in stake MLS, so it would be a big waste of time to transmit such data.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I kind of figured it was just membership information that was being processed on the stake computer but wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. The wiki gives a good list of transmission items but it is more geared towards unit MLS setups rather than stake MLS setup. I assume however that most of the data is pretty much the same whether stake or unit.

Probably doesn't make much sense to transmit financial data to the stake computer from the wards but who knows what lurks in the minds of these little electrons!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Pilotfly wrote:The wiki gives a good list of transmission items but it is more geared towards unit MLS setups rather than stake MLS setup. I assume however that most of the data is pretty much the same whether stake or unit.
Actually, the wiki article is supposed to cover both stake and ward MLS. Most of the issues are the same, but where there are differences, they should be clearly mentioned. If that's not the case, feel free to update the article, or let me know what needs to be changed and I'll fix it.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

The files that MLS is "processing" are mainly membership updates from the unit computers. You would be amazed at how much updating goes on between send/receive routines. I also agree with Alan, the wiki article is a pretty extensive list of information that is transmitted to and from MLS.
Caleb

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”