Same server for all country websites

Discussions about other Church websites
johngw-p40

Same server for all country websites

Post by johngw-p40 »

I'd like to suggest to have all country websites on the same server. The church should save many $.
John Wennerlund
Webmaster in Sweden for the church
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Thanks for the suggestion. We agree that we could save money doing this. Also, we think that we can provide more security by hosting the sites at Church headquarters. This is something we hope to accomplish in the near future.

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tomw wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. We agree that we could save money doing this. Also, we think that we can provide more security by hosting the sites at Church headquarters. This is something we hope to accomplish in the near future.

Tom
From other discussions with you, I don't think you mean precisely "the same server," as the original poster indicated, but rather on Church servers as opposed to them being scattered around the world in their hosting.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd think having the servers more "local" to the users would be better so as not to burden the country to country or even continent to continent infrastructure. I think that's the way other mega sites run. But those are all decisions that are made well above my pay grade. :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Years ago, ICS release new LDS.org. The staff talk to us that all LDS.org will be translated to ten or twelve other languages after all English LDS.org will be changed to the new pattern. Today, years ago, the English site isn't all changed to the new version and we don't have any translations (only two or tree parts translated only to Spanish). In my viewpoint, if all LDS.org content are translated to other languages, we can't need Country Sites. Or, "Area sites" can be created inside LDS.org for people searching informations about the Church in a specific country or area, with local news and area presidency messages added in the system like wards and stakes add informations on LUWS or S&I units add informations on LDS Institutes sites. It's my view on it...

(Sorry for this bad English).
johngw-p40

Post by johngw-p40 »

Hope it will be same CMS for all.
John Wennerlund
Webmaster in Sweden for the church
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

??? I can't understand...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Any of you know the new system of Country Web Sites now in test by ICS? See it here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Country_Web_sites
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Joomla is great! I wonder when Italian units will be allow to have their own site!
By the way. It'll be possible to link actual Branch's Web Page (even if not official) into maps.lds?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “Other Websites”