lessons

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
thomasjking

lessons

Post by thomasjking »

what i would like to see down the road
i think that most units have a "dish" at least in the us
so how about all the church talks ,movies being indexed and be "on demand" just like on the cable or home dish
we would need a new lesson format so each teacher could get the talk for the lesson and maybe several "connect spots" in the building
mzundel

Post by mzundel »

thomasjking wrote: i think that most units have a "dish" at least in the us
I wish my ward building had a dish. In my stake, the only building that has a dish is the stake center.

Overlooking this, there would need to be a 2 way communication system setup so that the "source" could start sending the requested show. There would also need to be a way to have a "private" frequency to receive the requested show.

From my understanding, the system in place is a one to many system without any communication back to the source; many dish system can receive the same content at the same time. This is a great broadcast method but not too good for personalization.
amc79

Consider the cost in choosing the media

Post by amc79 »

Wouldn't serving such an application over the Internet be more cost effective than pushing content through the satellite system? My understanding is that leasing satellite bandwidth is still quite expensive even on weekends when there is typically less demand.

Setting up some servers with bittorrent-like functionality would probably be more manageable. The Church could then make arrangements for connectivity according to local conditions without trying to get sattelite dishes to every farflung meetinghouse.

Of course, mailing out DVDs and having stakes purchase DVD players, may be cheaper than that, but I'm not sure.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I think it would be nice to have a media server at each building to host such content, receive regular updates from Church HQ over some sort of connection or sent by mail. Then this content could be streamed across the building to various rooms.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Yes, having a 'media server' is probably the best option in my mind.

If you had one in each building, then all the Church would have to do is send updates either via the net or on other media which could then be loaded manually onto the server, then all the person would have to do is bring his laptop or other device in that could then display the media in the classroom or wherever.

I see the Internet-delivery option as being a very viable one very soon as well. That way the Church could prepare something for a local need, then send it right to that unit's server or a group of servers in a given area or even multiple discontiguous areas . They could even transmit the stake conferences that way, so that in the future, if the Church grew large enough and it will, they could have three or four of those satellite conferences going at once unlike the two they seem to have the capability of doing now. You could have even more at different times with different leaders present also.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

While there are probably many beneficial ways to do and use media distribution of this nature, it wouldn't surprise me if the Church deliberately doesn't go too very far too very quickly with it. If it were too easy for a teacher to just plug in a talk or movie, it would take all the fun, work, joy, sweat, inspiration, etc. out of preparing a lesson. I seem to recall seeing a posting in another thread by someone who appeared to be connected with Church headquarters to the effect that those in general leadership positions want local teachers to do individual lesson preparation rather than just follow a canned script.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:I seem to recall seeing a posting in another thread by someone who appeared to be connected with Church headquarters to the effect that those in general leadership positions want local teachers to do individual lesson preparation rather than just follow a canned script.
Didn't they can the canned missionary lessons not all that long ago?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

rmrichesjr wrote:While there are probably many beneficial ways to do and use media distribution of this nature, it wouldn't surprise me if the Church deliberately doesn't go too very far too very quickly with it. If it were too easy for a teacher to just plug in a talk or movie, it would take all the fun, work, joy, sweat, inspiration, etc. out of preparing a lesson. I seem to recall seeing a posting in another thread by someone who appeared to be connected with Church headquarters to the effect that those in general leadership positions want local teachers to do individual lesson preparation rather than just follow a canned script.
That was me and you are correct. While the Church does provide teaching aids and course curriculum, it is important for both the class as well as the instructor that the lesson is prepared under the influence of the spirit.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Didn't they can the canned missionary lessons not all that long ago?
I don't think that it is fair to compare missionary lessons to Sunday school, priesthood or primary lessons. Nor do I think it is a relevant technology topic. ;)

Tom

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”