Portal Broadcast LDS is slow!

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mdantasf

Portal Broadcast LDS is slow!

Post by mdantasf »

Is there any way to increase the speed of download servers where we get the audios, videos broadcast.lds.org in there? I'm downloading a video of a meeting ... but is too slow.

Regards
Márcio Dantas - SP, Brasil
marcio@mdantas.com.br
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mdantas wrote:Is there any way to increase the speed of download servers where we get the audios, videos broadcast.lds.org in there? I'm downloading a video of a meeting ... but is too slow.

Regards
Download speeds are the result of not only the server but the service that you are using at your end and everything in between. It's also possible that others were downloading files from the same server at the same time as you are.

You didn't mention what type of Internet service you were using. Is it cable, DSL, satellite?
Can you be a little more specific and provide some additional details.?

I'd recommend that you use the "feedback" link on the lds.org web site to give those who are responsible some information. We have no guarantee that the people whom would need to see your request would be monitoring this forum. I'm not saying that you won't get a response from the forum. Just that your request would get the right people faster by using the feedback link.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mdantasf

Post by mdantasf »

OK.Thanks for the reply.

Here in Brazil, the most common is ADSL and cable, just use dialup line. But I did several tests with downloading things from the Church (MP3, conference, MP4 and others ...) and speed is very low.

I understand that the speed depends on the destination server and the Internet service we're using.

For example, I use a service cable to 3MB, and I download an ISO of Debian CD to a transfer rate of 350KB (not kbps). Already downloaded into http://broadcast.lds.org is only 20 to 30 KB.

It is a big difference.

Regards,
Márcio Dantas - SP, Brasil
marcio@mdantas.com.br
SunnyCal

Post by SunnyCal »

I did a quick test by downloading the recent Young Women's broadcast and obtained a speed of 175 KB/Sec. I'm using ADSL. From my perspective in California, the download is good.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I've been noticing that trying to get just about anything to load from lds.org has seemed consistently very slow for months now, while other sites seem to load, stream, and download just fine. It makes me wonder if Comcast (or someone else) has throttled the Church's feed somewhere along the line.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

jbh001 wrote:I've been noticing that trying to get just about anything to load from lds.org has seemed consistently very slow for months now, while other sites seem to load, stream, and download just fine. It makes me wonder if Comcast (or someone else) has throttled the Church's feed somewhere along the line.
I have noticed the same when it comes to downloading of larger video files. When I used some download manager programs it seem to help a bit but not a lot so I guess there must be limits to the max speed both per connection and per user. And this is also at times when the US should be asleep :-)

Streaming etc is fine, like now when waiting for Conference to start.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I picked off the Young Womens Meeting and some other files last night, only 40-60kb/s. This was at about 11pm MDT last night.

Worst time to download here is typically 5-8pm on most days, best time is right after midnight, when I've gotten a top speed of 228kb/s on a 25MB BYU-Idaho devotional download.

I'm on a Qwest 3-7MB DSL connection with a wireless box 25 feet from the PC.
SunnyCal

Post by SunnyCal »

I just did a quick check of the YW broadcast and repeated my earlier speed of ~175 KB/Sec. My earlier test was made around 10:00 PM west coast time. It's currently 10:45 AM west coast time. It would appear that my downloads are stable and repeatable.

Interesting how others are getting significantly slower responses.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I haven't tried to download much video or audio from lds.org because it usually takes too long. Where I've noticed the slow-down is with PDFs. Yesterday, it took more than ~3 minutes to download a ~350K PDF file on a DSL line. This scenario seems to be becoming the norm instead of the exception.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

sunnycal wrote:I just did a quick check of the YW broadcast and repeated my earlier speed of ~175 KB/Sec. My earlier test was made around 10:00 PM west coast time. It's currently 10:45 AM west coast time. It would appear that my downloads are stable and repeatable.

Interesting how others are getting significantly slower responses.
jbh001 wrote:I haven't tried to download much video or audio from lds.org because it usually takes too long. Where I've noticed the slow-down is with PDFs. Yesterday, it took more than ~3 minutes to download a ~350K PDF file on a DSL line. This scenario seems to be becoming the norm instead of the exception.
A download of the Book of Mark in the New Testament resulted in a download speed of 188 kB/Sec. Maybe it's the holiday today, but I'm still getting good speeds here.
Attachments
mark_download.jpg
mark_download.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”