Entering cash & coin

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Steve Gordon-p40

Entering cash & coin

Post by Steve Gordon-p40 »

We discovered when posting an amount on the currency line it will take an amount other than a whole dollar amount. Ex. $1.26 rather than $1.00 in currency and $.26 in coin. But at the end of the day you are out of balance by $.26.

Has an edit been added to the software that we don't have?

Thanks.

Steve
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Steve Gordon wrote:We discovered when posting an amount on the currency line it will take an amount other than a whole dollar amount. Ex. $1.26 rather than $1.00 in currency and $.26 in coin. But at the end of the day you are out of balance by $.26.

Has an edit been added to the software that we don't have?
I'm not sure when this changed. In MLS 2.2 (as you can see in the Timeline of MLS), MLS started requiring the Notes value to be an integer amount. I'm pretty sure that this was the case for quite a while. But it is certainly the case that in MLS 2.9.3 and MLS 2.9.4 (the only two versions I have handy to test), non-integer amounts can once again be entered in the Notes field.

Of course, any such errors should be caught in the Review stage of processing a donation, so the out-of-balance condition should be corrected before the batch is closed, but it would be nice to catch it sooner.

I wonder if the change might have been caused by some sort of international issue, where notes in some country might be for a non-integer value. But that's just speculation on my part....
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Steve Gordon wrote:We discovered when posting an amount on the currency line it will take an amount other than a whole dollar amount. Ex. $1.26 rather than $1.00 in currency and $.26 in coin. But at the end of the day you are out of balance by $.26.
I mistyped a donation like this a few months ago and we didn't catch it until the reconciliation screen. If it gets this far, the key is to note that there is a partial dollar amount in the "currency" difference. I almost went crazy until I figured it out. :o

It would be nice if this wasn't allowed. :D
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Steve Gordon wrote:Has an edit been added to the software that we don't have?
Nope. Sounds like you've got the same version as the rest of us.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”