Reconcile "Other" Account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eallred-p40

Reconcile "Other" Account

Post by eallred-p40 »

We are receiving checks from individuals for Girls' Camp. They are posting to "Other". How can we see the balance for this account?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully the funds gathered were placed in a sub-category created for that specific purpose in Other. The Other category can be viewed in MLS by selecting Finance --> Finance Reports --> Income and Expense Report. The sub-categories can be seen by selecting "Summary by Sub-Category" in the "Report" pull-down.

I found the Record-Keeping and Auditing Training lessons to be invaluable in my clerk calling. Under "Keeping Financial Records", they have a great one called "Understanding and Using the 'Other' Category". I highly recommend going through it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eallred wrote:We are receiving checks from individuals for Girls' Camp. They are posting to "Other". How can we see the balance for this account?
Hopefully you have created a sub-category of Other such as "Other:Girls Camp" that you deposit all these checks into (and from which you will write checks for related expenses). That is the key to tracking pass-through accounts such as this.

And I would certainly second Mikerowaved's suggestion to review the training on this topic. The training will cover the topic of sub-categories.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

You might also want to check out this page:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Reconciliation

Welcome!
Caleb

Return to “Local Unit Finance”