Somewhat garbled Email Broadcasts

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
AileneRHerrick

Somewhat garbled Email Broadcasts

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Hello!

My email broadcasts have always been going through on a regular basis. However, I've noticed that something has changed about them. The paragraphs don't appear on separate lines like they used to, and some of the characters show up funny. For example, I get ’ where an apostrophe is supposed to be. So Jennie's baptism would look like Jennie’s baptism. Is anyone else having this problem, or just me?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

AileneRHerrick wrote:My email broadcasts have always been going through on a regular basis. However, I've noticed that something has changed about them. The paragraphs don't appear on separate lines like they used to, and some of the characters show up funny. For example, I get ’ where an apostrophe is supposed to be. So Jennie's baptism would look like Jennie’s baptism. Is anyone else having this problem, or just me?
Are you composing your messages in another application (like a word processor) and then copying and pasting into the LUWS edit box for the message? That can often lead to characters getting jumbled because of character encoding differences.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you changed the way you compose the emails? If you compose them in Word, it will tend to change the single quote into a true apostrophe (it's a strange character not found on the keyboard) and that can create problems when you go to paste the code into the broadcast page. Word will most certainly change the more common double quote to opening and closing quote marks.

Something similar could be happening with paragraphs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Hello!

My email broadcasts have always been going through on a regular basis. However, I've noticed that something has changed about them. The paragraphs don't appear on separate lines like they used to, and some of the characters show up funny. For example, I get ’ where an apostrophe is supposed to be. So Jennie's baptism would look like Jennie’s baptism. Is anyone else having this problem, or just me?
I grab information from several sources (such as e-mails) when composing our weekly broadcast. I have found that pure ASCII-text rendering is critical. Because I can't always tell if the text is pure ASCII, I compose in Notepad and then paste into the e-mail submission form. Because I don't always find the non-ASCII characters, I send a test e-mail to myself and read it. I then fix any jumbled characters in my Notepad original version that I received in the e-mail. When I do this, I don't have problems with characters.

I really don't know what all the recipients see because their e-mail system may handle some textual elements, such as URL addresses, differently.
AileneRHerrick

Okay

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Yes, I've been copying and pasting. Perhaps I'll have to take an extra step, copy and paste the message into Notepad and then to the broadcast. (I'm copying emails that others have sent me to send out).

I still don't know why the paragraphs do what they do. I am pretty certain it does that even when I type the message myself. I'll report back the next time I self-type a message via the email broadcast.

On the plus side, there doesn't seem to be any delivery problems.
ShirtsDre

Strip non-standard characters

Post by ShirtsDre »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Yes, I've been copying and pasting. Perhaps I'll have to take an extra step, copy and paste the message into Notepad and then to the broadcast. (I'm copying emails that others have sent me to send out).

I still don't know why the paragraphs do what they do. I am pretty certain it does that even when I type the message myself. I'll report back the next time I self-type a message via the email broadcast.

On the plus side, there doesn't seem to be any delivery problems.
I like to use the TextPad text editor. It does well at cleaning out any non-standard characters when you want to paste it into a text-only email.
Copy from your various sources (MS Word, E-mail, etc.) and paste into TextPad. Then copy and paste from there to your email. It works really good.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I just tried this feature. The original message came from a bishopric counselor who used Word. I pasted into then copied from Notepad, but still got the strange symbols replacing the quotation and double quotation marks. The text looked fine in the message body before sending.

Any other ideas?

Preston
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

preston.baxter wrote:I just tried this feature. The original message came from a bishopric counselor who used Word. I pasted into then copied from Notepad, but still got the strange symbols replacing the quotation and double quotation marks. The text looked fine in the message body before sending.

I don't think Notepad will auto-clean things for you. It simply exposes the issues that need to be fixed. Also, if you did two copy and pastes in a row, it's possible that for some reason your second copy failed and you ended up pasting the original Word copy into the email message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”