Priesthood Session Audio/Video

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

juanv wrote:but when we are able to read all the conference talks online, they only can listen to the non-priesthood conference talks
Probably the same way they'd navigate to the web page in the first place - screen reader.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

dkjorgi wrote:It also looked like the ASL clip from last time had audio in it by mystake as the audio part of the ASL clip has since been removed to only leave the visual side which is what is important.

So I guess the confusion last time arose by a simple oversight.

Drat! I have two teenagers studying sign language for whom audio with video would be a plus. It's a different vocabulary than that taught at high school and college.
cambaxter-p40

Why priesthood session is not available online

Post by cambaxter-p40 »

I wrote the church website today and just recieved this answere from them. "The priesthood session of conference was not broadcast over the Internet. Therefore, the priesthood session of conference is not available in audio or video format on the Church Web site. However, the transcript of the session will be available online soon after the broadcast in many languages. Also, CD and DVD recordings of general conference sessions, including the priesthood session, are available for purchase from Church distribution centers."

As for why it is not broadcast online I found this on another thread. Don't know how true it is or why, but it does make sense. "Since the priesthood session is a closed meeting, the Church does not provide the audio and video of the meeting to the general public on LDS.org." I found this at http://ldsmediatalk.com/2008/10/06/gene ... ment-19708. Does anyone know more about this closed meeting idea?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cambaxter wrote:Does anyone know more about this closed meeting idea?
I think it's always been that way. At least to the limits of the technology of the time.

I've not seen a clear explanation of it. While I have my own guesses, it's just that - a guess.

What's interesting is the rest of the link you gave: "Next year, when we will provide the ability for you to log in and we can verify that you are a member, or a priesthood holder, we expect to be able to provide the priesthood session online."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cambaxter wrote:Does anyone know more about this closed meeting idea?

Well, priesthood meeting is not a meeting to which the general public is invited. Only those who hold the priesthood or who are of age to hold the priesthood are invited to attend. This is not the only meeting to which the public is not invited. Other closed meetings would include bishopric, priesthood executive meeting, presidency meetings, other leadership meetings, etc.

I think it is wonderful that there is consideration to allowing priesthood holders to login and obtain electronic copies of the meeting. I guess that is one of the marvels of this new technology age in which we are now living. [grin]
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:What's interesting is the rest of the link you gave: "Next year, when we will provide the ability for you to log in and we can verify that you are a member, or a priesthood holder, we expect to be able to provide the priesthood session online."
Wow, an exciting idea! And the comment is made by none other than Larry Richman, a pretty reliable source at Church Headquarters.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

lajackson wrote:Well, priesthood meeting is not a meeting to which the general public is invited. Only those who hold the priesthood or who are of age to hold the priesthood are invited to attend. This is not the only meeting to which the public is not invited. Other closed meetings would include bishopric, priesthood executive meeting, presidency meetings, other leadership meetings, etc.
I am not sure you can compare it with those meetings. Yes only priesthood attend the live session ( so its closed in that sense) but the meetings you mention sounds more "closed" since noone outside of these meetings see any transcripts/minutes of these meetings whereas with the priesthood session of GC you can. I think there must be more to it.

Personally I lean towards not thinking about it too much. It was however a very good session.
musicman-p40

Perhaps it is because

Post by musicman-p40 »

audio recordings can be purchased, and brail publications of the Ensign magazine are always available. But yes, even I am curious.
mdantasf

Post by mdantasf »

I would also like to know why does not audio and video sessions of the priesthood.

Regads,
Márcio Dantas - SP, Brasil
marcio@mdantas.com.br
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mdantas wrote:I would also like to know why does not audio and video sessions of the priesthood.
If you read this thread, you'll see the best information the community can come up with to answer this question. I doubt you will ever see a definitive statement from the Church as to the reasons for this long-standing policy.

Return to “Main Church Website”