Video Mixer selection

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rknelson

Video Mixer selection

Post by rknelson »

I'm looking for suggestions and input on selecting a reasonable video mixer to use with our building to building broadcast of stake conference. We use multiple cameras. Last conference we just used a simple video switcher (AKA a "glitcher switcher"). It worked, but I would like to move to something where we can fade between cameras and have it be less disruptive. The mixer will be located in the satellite equipment room where we locate the operator. One camera is remotely operated and mounted on the ceiling in the back. An additional camera is fixed on a tripod on the side in the overflow area.

I would like to stay near or below about $1000. Used equipment is OK with me if it's on eBay regularly.

Features to consider:
- accommodate 3 or 4 video sources
- since we have different cameras, it would be nice to be able to adjust saturation / hue on each input to match each other better
- it doesn't need to mix audio since that will be a fixed input from the building mixer
- we really only need a basic fade - fancy transitions will not be used for stake conference
- no need for High Definition support
- (any other items to consider?)

Does anyone have experience with the Panasonic WJ MX20 (used) or the Numark AVM02?

What have you used? Were you satisfied with the solution? What would be your ideal solution on an economy budget?

Thanks!
ccmichaelson-p40

RE: Video Mixer Selection

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

I too am researching a good/decent video mixer for broadcasting Stake Conference as well as other uses. I used the Meetinghouse Webcast Communicator (borrowed a test kit) last stake conference but the Church A/V department wanted to test out their new HD equipment so they came in with an army of producers, tech guys, and a director and they produced the broadcast for me. This was great except they set the expectations high by switching between multiple cameras and injecting text (for the person speaking), etc...

The communicator is $1,141 and I still need to pickup two cameras and a video mixer. I came across a website that has 2 RC Sony cameras w/ video mixer + software for around $4,500 (cheapest I've been able to find) for a complete kit. Here's the website: http://www.videobotics.com/frcosmoss5church.html

Still looking for other ideas...

Cameron
michaelfish

Video Mixer for multi-camera mixing

Post by michaelfish »

We have been using a Videonics MX-1 digital video mixer for years (conferences, roadshow, firesides, etc.). Very good inexpensive digital mixer, has 3 inputs (Composite, Stereo Audio, S-Video) and a Chroma Key input. The mixer has many wipe/dissolve patterns and a preview feature. They run $250 USD and up and can be found on Ebay.

Post back for more information.
ccmichaelson-p40

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

We just placed on order for a DataVideo SE-500 video mixer. I'll provide additional feedback after it arrives and after I have a chance to use it. I did lots of research on video mixers and I picked this up new for $999.
michaelfish

Camera considerations

Post by michaelfish »

The specs on the DataVideo SE-500 look great. Great choice. I especially liked the quad preview output (a MUST) for previewing your shots before you take them.

One tip from experience...when shooting with various cameras, it will be nearly impossible to get them to look all alike. Even with white balance, color correction or camera control units, it will be difficult, even with an experienced engineer. May I suggest, if possible, have all of your cameras the same (Sony/Canon or HiDef/StdDef) On a 12' diagonal screen, the differences will be as different as night and day. You will find that even going with the same brand of camera will help so very much in getting the picture quality and color similar.

Final tip. Test and practice in advance.

Mike

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”