Hearing Impaired device doesn't work in RS room

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
jfindlay

Hearing Impaired device doesn't work in RS room

Post by jfindlay »

We have a sister who uses an "assistive listening device" during sacrament meeting, but when she goes to Sunday School or Relief Society, she's out of luck. The sound system in the RS room doesn't broadcast to her device.

Other than breaking out the translation equipment, setting up a portable microphone, and giving her one of those units, is there any way to make the RS sound system broadcast to the assistive listening devices??

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The best way would be to have the stake president make his wishes known to the FM group.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

None of the recent PA systems I have seen (post-2004 or so) have had a transmitter fed from the RS room. The transmitter antenna for the chapel system is usually strung in the attic above the chapel. I don't know whether the FM group would be able to install a wireless system for the RS room, but I would guess not.

In my previous stake, the solution for sisters with mild hearing difficulty was a lapel mike and a small mixer to feed the RS room speakers. If that doesn't work well enough and the FM group can't help, one possibility would be a locally-purchased transmitter in the RS room fed from an auxiliary output of a small mixer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:I don't know whether the FM group would be able to install a wireless system for the RS room, but I would guess not.
I don't know why they wouldn't. It sounds like there's already a PA in place. So no need for additional mics and a mixer. It's just a matter of getting a comtek transmitter and plugging it into the PA.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

You'd have to be careful that the same frequency wasn't being used with another ward in the chapel. Hopefully, the block schedule is arranged so that when one ward is in RS that another isn't in the chapel. Any use of the chapel sound system would interfere if they used the same frequencies.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't know why they wouldn't. It sounds like there's already a PA in place. So no need for additional mics and a mixer. It's just a matter of getting a comtek transmitter and plugging it into the PA.
My earlier mention of mikes and an additional mixer were for the possibility of doing a local non-permanently-installed, plug-in system if the FM group won't do an installed transmitter.

In theory, a second Comtek transmitter could probably be put in the sound cabinet, to be fed by the RS channel, with the antenna closer to the RS room than the chapel. Repurposing the existing transmitter would probably not be a viable option, because ward schedules often overlap in ways that would require both at the same time. With two transmitters, mutual interference would be a significant concern.

In all the talking I did in 2004ish with the consultant and installers at two buildings, never once was there mention of the possibility of a transmitter for use in the RS room. That's why I expressed some doubt about whether the FM group (and/or contractors) would be willing to do it. Actually, the consultant explained that the purpose for the microphone and PA system in the children's meeting room is to teach the young children proper microphone technique (not screaming into it at point-blank range, for example). He also explained that the reason for the microphone and PA system in the RS room was the sisters would complain if the children had one and the sisters did not.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:You'd have to be careful that the same frequency wasn't being used with another ward in the chapel.
Depends on the layout. If the RS room is far enough away, then it may not matter. I think they are FM, so the strongest signal wins - very little interference.

Comtek does support other channels, but if the receiver is an older one, it may not support tuning.

rmrichesjr wrote:He also explained that the reason for the microphone and PA system in the RS room was the sisters would complain if the children had one and the sisters did not.
Hmmm, that reminds me a scene from The RM. But I digress....... :D
rmrichesjr wrote:In all the talking I did in 2004ish with the consultant and installers at two buildings, never once was there mention of the possibility of a transmitter for use in the RS room. That's why I expressed some doubt about whether the FM group (and/or contractors) would be willing to do it.
I agree it's not standard. But it doesn't seem so far fetched that a stake president couldn't persuade the FM group that it's needed. There is some latitude for fulfilling local needs. Since this can be done with established vendors and equipment, I don't think it's unreasonable. I will admit that it's probably the slowest way to get things done .....

But at least from then on it will receive support.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I just replaced an older Comtek receiver with a newer model. The new models automatically search for the frequencies that are being used.

Also, as an FYI, although the strongest signal may win, these receivers can often pick up a signal well beyond the perimeter of the building itself. One member of our ward uses a Comtek receiver. He travels around a lot between different buildings when he attends single adult activities. He's told me of times when he can hear a meeting going on when he's still a couple of hundred feet away from the building.

I would recommend that you contact Comtek itself and inquire as to the capabilities of these receivers and see what they recommend. It would be sad to spend the funds and end up with a conflict between a meeting in the chapel and the Relief Society room. ;)
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

The newer Comtek receivers do initially go to the channel with strongest signal, but there is some method to change that. I forget whether there's a button to push, or whether you switch it off and quickly back on.
BigMG-p40

Post by BigMG-p40 »

We've been dealing with the same problem and it just gets worse.
The chapel microphone system is wonderful for those hearing impaired for several reasons, the chief is that they can hear the speaker.

People with hearing aids have a really, really, frustrating time because of the constant reverence problems ALL wards have to some degree. (Kirby compared it to a garage full of bull-whipped monkeys). The point is that any background noise overwhelms most hearing devices, especially if it's the toddler behind you who breaks forth and dad is too busy napping to remove said yoodler.

The chapel system allows you to enjoy a speaker only sacrament meeting, at usually 72mhz transmitter frequency. Everyone needs one!

The problem is that even if you hold class in the chapel (which we've done) your next problem is that all the comments in class cannot be heard. Setting up a portable mike system that people can hand around, with the teacher using the lapel mike, takes time to set up and on and on.

The RS room is only wired to receive sound from the chapel, or it's own internal system.
I priced the portable transmitters at $500-$600. Since most hearing aid receivers operate on a fixed frequency then interference with the chapel transmitter will be a big issue. As stated above, Comtec uses signal strength selectors on their most expensive models, but even the portable transmitter can be overwhelmed by the stronger base station nearby. Can, not will, but who wants to gamble? and that does not address the class comment issue which really became a big deal for some members.

All in all, this will become a big technical issue as our baby boomers enter their golden years.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”