Membership Directory on blackberry

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
cvacanti-p40

Ward Directory On Blackberry 8830

Post by cvacanti-p40 »

I have a BB 8830 and use operamini to log into and browse my ward website. Often times I find that if the bb browser doesn't work for a site try using opera mini.

Chris
fishmister

Post by fishmister »

Tried Opera Mini browser.

Church Site worked until I tried to log into the Ward directory portion of the website.
jross

Post by jross »

I was looking for information on accessing Ward Websites via a Blackberry and came upon this thread. I notice that this response is nearly 2 years old. Does anyone have any update regarding being able to access ward websites via a Blackberry (I have the 8310)?

Thanks!
--Jeff.
aweitzel-p40

Bueller ... Bueller ...

Post by aweitzel-p40 »

Has anyone found a solution to this problem in the last couple of years?
fishmister

Post by fishmister »

Churches website still has issues with mobile devices and have not heard of separate URL for mobile devices.

I know of web pages that load on mobile browsers that are secure but they don't want us uploading Ward and Stake data to external databases.

So the answer would be No the church hasn't addressed this (unless I missed something) and there are underground sites that technology proficient people have created for mobile devices.

Being in leadership and having the Ward list accessible through a mobile phone is a huge benefit for address, email, and phone numbers. It makes leaders more effective when they have access to this information.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

If BlackBerrys can take vCard contacts like an iPhone can, then the project I am working on may help you all:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2151
fishmister

Post by fishmister »

I could import the contacts through Outlook but prefer to keep my BB address book separate from work contacts. Don't want to accidentally call Joe at work when calling Joe from the Ward, but that is just me. Some may not mind having an extra 200-300 personal contacts mixed in with business contacts in their BB address book.

Plus you would have a higher compatibility rate if it was a mobile web page. Wouldn't matter what phone, browser, platform..... just need a web browser.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

fishmister wrote:I could import the contacts through Outlook but prefer to keep my BB address book separate from work contacts. Don't want to accidentally call Joe at work when calling Joe from the Ward, but that is just me. Some may not mind having an extra 200-300 personal contacts mixed in with business contacts in their BB address book.

Plus you would have a higher compatibility rate if it was a mobile web page. Wouldn't matter what phone, browser, platform..... just need a web browser.
The way the iPhone does it (or rather, the way the vCards are implemented by the Church), there is a slight visual difference between a ward contact and a contact you manually enter yourself.

It basically comes down to the fact that the Church puts surname and first names for the household all in the full name field of the vCard (which essentially gets put in just the surname on the iPhone). When looking through your contact list, any contact that has their last and first names bold is a ward contact, and any contact with just a last name bolded is a manually entered contact where the first names and surnames were correctly entered.
fishmister

Post by fishmister »

Even so you I would still have way too many contact in my phones address book and a mobile web page would be simpler to implement and share.

No instruction manual need for a mobile web page, no platform requirements... etc. Back in the day before phones were on the web something like a vCard would be the only choice.

More bang for you buck with a mobile web page.
davefielding-p40

Post by davefielding-p40 »

DJC wrote:There is a problem with the site using a mobile device when trying to login. We have looked into fixing it, but it looks like this will not be fixed until a new version of the web site is released and I do not know when this will be.
Has this been corrected? Very frustrating, the lack of lds apps/support for the BB.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”