All Receivers failed at 9:50AM Sunday May 3, 2009

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
wxrwxr

All Receivers failed at 9:50AM Sunday May 3, 2009

Post by wxrwxr »

We are interested in learning more about what may have happened Sunday May 3, 2009 at about 9:50 AM Utah time. Here is the sequence of events:

Saturday May 2 – The Webcast communicator run fine for several hours while testing receivers at three meeting houses.

Sunday May 3, 2009:

6AM – 9AM Communicator and receivers (Media Player 10) run OK.

9:10AM Communicator was restarted.

9:12AM – 9:50AM Communicator and receivers run OK.

About 9:50AM All three receivers lost the stream. Upon restarting the receivers would all display “Windows Media Player cannot play the file…” Typical of when the communicator is not running. However the communicator was running. The communicator was restarted OK but the receivers continued to fail.

About 10:15 the receivers started to buffer and receive the stream OK. The communicator was restarted only the once at about 9:55AM.

10:15 – 12:10 Communicator and receivers run OK.

Are there any ideas?
ccmichaelson-p40

RE: Similiar Issue

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

When I used the beta kit for our last Stake Conference, I had similar issues. The communicator thought it was "online" and broadcasting but the receivers (actually a laptop in another ward building) lost connection just like you did.

This issue (I believe) was the Cisco ASA firewall... I noticed the VPN light was off so after I rebooted the firewall and then the communicator everything started to work again. As soon as the VPN light dropped, we lost connection and if left alone for many minutes the communicator would finally realize it was offline.

During our Stake Conference, I seriously considered bypassing the Cisco firewall as I never saw the communicator fail when I was directly connected to our DSL modem (which I believe is against policy but my Stake Presidency was okay with the idea given the issues I was having).

Luckily, the live broadcast went without a hitch with the communicator directly connected to the firewall.

Cameron

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”