Ward Info on a Blackberry

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
aweitzel-p40

Ward Info on a Blackberry

Post by aweitzel-p40 »

I am new to the Bishopric (2nd C.) and I would like to put my ward info on my Blackberry (curve) in a manner similar to programs such as LDS Tool's Ward Info program, so that it is accessable, but not necessarily in my work calendar.

What options have people tried and what does and does not work? I like freeware, but I am very willing to pay for a good app.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks,
Adam
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

If you are only looking for ward calendar data you can export your ward calendar (from your ward website) into a separate google calendar and then use google sync on your BB and set it to sync up your ward calendar data. You should wait to import the ward calendar until after you setup the google sync since it will only synchronize events after syncing is enabled.

There don't seem to be a lot of good ways to sync/view other information, short of creating contacts for all of your ward members, which you can get from exporting out of MLS or just opening up reports in the excel viewer on the BB.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I am also a 2nd councilor with a BlackBerry. Prior to my BB, I was a long time Windows Mobile users and really miss some of the LDS apps that were very useful; Yanceyware and Ward Tools.

I love my BB, but the lack of LDS apps has been a little frustrating. I have tried a number of different methods to keep ward data and have settled on using MyWard's ( http://www.shiblon.com/desktop/myward/ ) html output. It uses MLS export data and converts it to html. I put all the html files on my BB SD card and use the BB browser to point to the local index.html file. The browser bookmark path for my setup is "file:///SDCard/offlineweb/myward/index.html" with /offlineweb/myward/ being my custom directories on the SD card.

It gives me current (as of the MLS extract) member info and keeps church phone numbers separate from my work/personal contacts. Ward Tools has some nicer reports (callings, classes, etc...) but MyWard is good enough. I use latest beta of MobiPocket for scriptures and it works decent.
cvacanti-p40

ward website on bb

Post by cvacanti-p40 »

download opera mini and log in through that...i am pleased with the results...I am able to do everything i need.

point your phones browser to: http://mini.opera.com and you are good to go!

Cheers!!!
aweitzel-p40

I broke down

Post by aweitzel-p40 »

I just bought a Pocket PC to store my church info. It will be a hassle to carry both devices, but it will get the job done.
cvacanti-p40

Post by cvacanti-p40 »

Just a quick recap...I just got my new blackberry tour...downloaded opera mini using the link above, went to www.lds.org, logged in, looked myself up, and even sent myself an email...i love it!!!
please let me know if I can be of any help...the blackberry is a great tool...
jltware

Post by jltware »

I just bought a new phone and was seriously considering a blackberry, but opted for a windows mobile HTC device primarilly because of the difficulties getting applications onto it vs the simplicity of finding programs like MyWard or the various scripture apps for windows mobile. I'm sure you could work around it, but it would involve multiple conversions each time you wanted to update your database, and the windows mobile options are so simple to use in comparison. I think the simplicity of the software makes carrying a second device worthwhile at church meetings if that is your only option. Just my opinion.
jltware

Post by jltware »

dshep2020 wrote:I have tried a number of different methods to keep ward data and have settled on using MyWard's ( http://www.shiblon.com/desktop/myward/ ) html output. It uses MLS export data and converts it to html.

Do you know if any similar program exists for stake mls data, or if the ward version can be converted in some way to handle the added complication of multiple wards?
ralfie8

Blackberry Bold Access to Stake and Ward Information

Post by ralfie8 »

I tried using Opera as recommended in the thread and it worked very well. I have an Ipod Touch for the stake information using Istake, which is limited to access through wireless only. Using the Blackberry I can get all the information I need all with one device. Opera is also far superior to the native browser on the blackberry.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

cvacanti wrote:Just a quick recap...I just got my new blackberry tour...downloaded opera mini using the link above, went to www.lds.org, logged in, looked myself up, and even sent myself an email...i love it!!!
please let me know if I can be of any help...the blackberry is a great tool...
I don't think everyone is listed on the LUWS. It seems I recall it's possible to ask not to be listed. WardTools works from the MLS data so it would be a more complete database I'd think (if I'm right).

Just my 2¢ worth.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.

Return to “General Discussions”