Garbled member names with LDS Accounts on Registration list

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

Garbled member names with LDS Accounts on Registration list

Post by dmaynes »

I wonder if any one else is seeing the garbling in the user names that I am seeing. I think this is a different issue than the one discussed on this thread:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3000

I have the following problems:
1. Last name begins with a lower case letter. Example: John Jones is displayed as "jones, John"
2. All names begin with a lower case letter. Example: Anna Marie White is displayed as "white, anna marie"
3. Chopping and mixing of last names. Example: Haggerty, William is displayed as "haglm, Bill" (I can't figure out how this is happening)
4. Rearrangement and insertions of middle names. Example: Jerald Christopher Wheelwright is displayed as "wheelwright, chris r"
5. Replacement of husband's name with wife's name. Example: Jeff Black is registered for the website, his wife, June, is not; Jeff Black is displayed as "Black, June"

Nearly all of the garbling that I have observed is manifested by using lower case letters where upper case letters should have been displayed. The last situation #5 is very strange and I will try to get more information on this. I will send "feedback" through to the stake, but I'm not sure if we have some one actively monitoring the stake feedback right now.

Thanks,
Dennis
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Probably the same root cause as discussed here. It has been reported to the developers. No word on what's happening or a time frame to fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Probably the same root cause as discussed here.
Of course, that's the same link the original poster included in his post, where his initial thoughts were that it was a different problem. I have to admit, though, that the symptoms described sure sound similar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Of course, that's the same link the original poster included in his post, where his initial thoughts were that it was a different problem.
*Sigh* so much for paying attention ......

Until we know where the names are coming from, I'd have to think that more then likely they have the same root cause.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

RussellHltn wrote:...I'd have to think that more then likely they have the same root cause.
They do have the same root cause. It is being worked on and the fix will be released as soon as it can be.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thanks! Any idea what kind of time frame that might be? This week? This month? End of day? :D

I realize that it's going to be a fuzzy value, but some idea of what time range we're looking at would be helpful.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:They do have the same root cause. It is being worked on and the fix will be released as soon as it can be.
Is it too early to determine the common denominator of the affected machines so we could be on the lookout?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:Is it too early to determine the common denominator of the affected machines so we could be on the lookout?
It must be a problem with the web application or with the LUWS database. In either case, I don't understand what you mean by "the affected machines." It has nothing to do with the browser, and thus it makes no difference what machine you are running your browser on when you view the LUWS registered users administration page (I know -- I've tried this on at least three different machines).

So I'm not sure what you are suggesting. If there is any variation in the bug, it would be a difference among units, not any particular machines. It would be interesting to hear if there is a website administrator who is NOT having any of these problems.
dmaynes

A partial fix has been implemented

Post by dmaynes »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:They do have the same root cause. It is being worked on and the fix will be released as soon as it can be.
Some of the errors have now been fixed in this display page. There was one error where the wife's name had replaced the husband's name in the list. This one has been fixed.

There is an error with the last name being recomposed into some version of beginning letters from the last name and beginning letters from the first name. This one has not been fixed. Something like this: "Smith, John" became "smijo, John"

Thanks,
Dennis
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

dmaynes wrote:Some of the errors have now been fixed in this display page.
This is not due to a code release, which is still pending. This is due to users updating their preferred name or their old LUWS person names (first, middle, and last).
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”