Online Missionary Recommendation account messed up.

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rstringh-p40

Online Missionary Recommendation account messed up.

Post by rstringh-p40 »

There is a couple in my ward who are in the process of filling out there online papers for a mission. When they logged in recently it told them that they needed to create an new LDS account. They followed the link and did so. Now when they try to log into the Online Missionary Recommendation System it doesn't recognize this new username (LDS Account). But if they go back and use there old username that they were using before, it only gives them the option to create a new LDS account. They seem to be stuck in a loop. What can I do to get their account fixed so that they can continue to work on their Missionary Application?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rstringh wrote:There is a couple in my ward who are in the process of filling out there online papers for a mission. When they logged in recently it told them that they needed to create an new LDS account. They followed the link and did so. Now when they try to log into the Online Missionary Recommendation System it doesn't recognize this new username (LDS Account). But if they go back and use there old username that they were using before, it only gives them the option to create a new LDS account. They seem to be stuck in a loop. What can I do to get their account fixed so that they can continue to work on their Missionary Application?

First, I would make sure that they have the proper LDS Account user name and password. The most straightforward way to verify this is go directly to LDS Account at ldsaccount.lds.org. If they can't login to that site, then the problem is with their LDS Account, not with the Missionary Recommendation System. In that case, they should use the helps available at ldsaccount.lds.org to recover their user name or password, or to complete the registration process by verifying their e-mail address (I've had a couple of people in my stake who didn't realize that their LDS Account is not active until they do the verification step).

If they can login to ldsaccount.lds.org, but not the Missionary Recommendation System, then I'm not sure what to do. That would imply that somehow the MRS is not correctly linking the membership record number on the missionary application with the MRN in LDS Account. But that would seem quite unusual.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:f they can login to ldsaccount.lds.org, but not the Missionary Recommendation System, then I'm not sure what to do. That would imply that somehow the MRS is not correctly linking the membership record number on the missionary application with the MRN in LDS Account. But that would seem quite unusual.
It might be it just takes time for the information to sync up. If it's something else, there's not much that can be done about it until the church offices open on Monday - so either way they wait.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rstringh-p40

Post by rstringh-p40 »

I just called him and confirmed that he did complete the LDS Account creation by clicking on the link in the email. Then he got a followup email indicating that his LDS account creation was complete. This happened on April 29th.
What is our next step to get this corrected?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rstringh wrote:I just called him and confirmed that he did complete the LDS Account creation by clicking on the link in the email. Then he got a followup email indicating that his LDS account creation was complete. This happened on April 29th.
What is our next step to get this corrected?

I assume you have verified that they are indeed using their new LDS Account user name and password to access the Missionary Recommendation System -- starting April 28 the old user name and password will not work; they must use the LDS Account user name and password.

If that is correct, then I would recommend that they call the Missionary Department (you can just call the main CHQ number and ask for the Missionary Department) on Monday morning and ask for help.
nmecantwin73

MSS Emails

Post by nmecantwin73 »

Here's something that is sort of related... About three years ago while serving as ward clerk, my bishop added me to the MSS system to help with setting up the new missionary candidates. Today, he is no longer the bishop and I am no longer the clerk. Yesterday a new candidate completed her "papers" and submitted them for the bishop to review. However, the current bishop did not receive an email letting him know, but the former bishop and myself did receive this email. Current bishop has verified that we are not in the system as users....

Is there something he may be missing to remove our email information for these notifications?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

njcant1 wrote:Here's something that is sort of related... About three years ago while serving as ward clerk, my bishop added me to the MSS system to help with setting up the new missionary candidates. Today, he is no longer the bishop and I am no longer the clerk. Yesterday a new candidate completed her "papers" and submitted them for the bishop to review. However, the current bishop did not receive an email letting him know, but the former bishop and myself did receive this email. Current bishop has verified that we are not in the system as users....

Is there something he may be missing to remove our email information for these notifications?
Question #1: Why is your current bishop not receiving e-mail notifications? He should first verify that his notification settings are correct. He does that by logging in to MSS and then going to "Manage E-mail Notification". He should make sure that his correct e-mail address is listed and that it says "You are currently receiving e-mail notification." If not, he should enter his e-mail address, and click the Activate Notification button.

Question #2: Why are you and the former bishop receiving e-mails? The current bishop should verify that you are not listed as a clerk on the Missionary Recommendation System (under "Add or Remove Clerk Access"). There is no setting that I know of to check for the former bishop. So it seems clear to me that there is nothing more you can do on the website. The next step would be for your current bishop to contact the Church and try to straighten this out. There is a form that can be filled out under Contact Us on the MSS site, or he can call Local Unit Support.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

You can always contact the MOS support team at 800-453-3860 ext 23800. Just FYI.
Caleb
coolbair

Re: Online Missionary Recommendation account messed up.

Post by coolbair »

I see this is an older post, but I am also a former stake missionary application assistant who used to have mss access, but no longer do, however I'm still receiving mss email notifications. The notification says "a missionary recommendation form has been submitted to you...". The system probably ought to automatically remove a person from all notification lists when their access is taken away. I no longer live in that stake nor do I have contact info for those individuals who are still there. Can someone fix this please?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Online Missionary Recommendation account messed up.

Post by aebrown »

coolbair wrote:I see this is an older post, but I am also a former stake missionary application assistant who used to have mss access, but no longer do, however I'm still receiving mss email notifications. The notification says "a missionary recommendation form has been submitted to you...". The system probably ought to automatically remove a person from all notification lists when their access is taken away. I no longer live in that stake nor do I have contact info for those individuals who are still there. Can someone fix this please?
This is a community forum; it's unlikely that anyone with power to fix it will see your post.

I'm guessing that you are still on the list of clerks in MSS authorized to make changes in your former stake because the stake president didn't remove you from that list when you were released. It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to sign in to MSS because of the fact that you are no longer a member of that stake. But I could certainly imagine that the notifications don't check to see what stake you are in.

Only the stake president of your former stake can remove you from the list. I know you said that you have no contact info, but you could easily find the bishop of your former ward by using the Maps application on LDS.org and entering your former home address. That will show you the bishop's last name and contact number. He could then tell you how to contact the stake president.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”