Deposit Bag # doesn't match

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
johnshaw

Deposit Bag # doesn't match

Post by johnshaw »

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the automatically assigned deposit bag number from MLS to the correct number we have. Apparently we lost one along the way and the numbers don't match, and I need to remember each week to make the change. Any help would be great?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jshawut wrote:Does anyone know of a way to adjust the automatically assigned deposit bag number from MLS to the correct number we have. Apparently we lost one along the way and the numbers don't match, and I need to remember each week to make the change. Any help would be great?
I was informed by MLS support in Feb 2009 that the serial number that goes in that field in the MLS authorization screen is supposed to be the serial number from your white/canary/pink deposit slip (number in the upper right corner) and not the number from the deposit bag. It should therefore never change unless you change banks.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

crislapi wrote:I was informed by MLS support in Feb 2009 that the serial number that goes in that field in the MLS authorization screen is supposed to be the serial number from your white/canary/pink deposit slip (number in the upper right corner) and not the number from the deposit bag. It should therefore never change unless you change banks.
This is correct. I was almost tripped up by this when I was first called. I noticed the "serial number" box in MLS only after numerous weeks of deposits and noticed that it never changed. After I did some searching for a similar number, I did find the number listed on the deposit slips and noticed that it was always the same. I think my confusion arose because I assumed that a "serial" number was supposed to change "serially". That is not the case. Maybe someone needs to change the name of this field to something like "deposit identification".

Also realize that you still keep track of the deposit bag number by keeping the top strip with the other documentation.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”