Ex-com Personell reporting VT/HT

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
alextovey-p40

Ex-com Personell reporting VT/HT

Post by alextovey-p40 »

Do we record the home teaching and visiting teaching visits to ex-communicated members? i need to know as this question was posed to me earlier today.
Also wanting to know, Are we supposed to give home teachers to Ex-communicated members?

Many thanks

Alex
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alextovey wrote:Do we record the home teaching and visiting teaching visits to ex-communicated members? i need to know as this question was posed to me earlier today.
Also wanting to know, Are we supposed to give home teachers to Ex-communicated members?

Wards should certainly provide whatever friendship, fellowship, and support they can to excommunicated members. This would include home teachers. In my ward, a pair of excellent home teachers were instrumental in helping an excommunicated member back into the Church.

However, as far as technical reporting is concerned, you only record visits to actual members (there is no way in MLS to even set up an officially assigned home teaching companionship if there is no member record in the household). If there is still a member in the household, then you would continue to record visits as usual, since the household would still exist in MLS as a part-member household.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

One of the questions (or blocks to fill in) when completing disciplinary action paperwork asks if person will allow further contact by the church. If the answer is yes, then by all means, a home teacher, visiting teacher, or whatever communication the Bishop sets up, should be happening. But as Alan states, there is no way to include it in an official report via MLS.

In our stake during each pre-planning conference for ward/branch conferences we cover the quarterly report to see how the unit is doing and where the stake can be of help. One of the items we specifially ask each Bishopric during this meeting is "are the right families being home taught" We all know that home teaching statistics are greatly skewed due to the directive from the First Presidency to focus on certain families. Our concern as stake leaders is that the ward is zeroing in on those who need contact and fellowship. An excommunicated member who said they would not mind having contact would certainly be one I would think both the Bishop and the Stake President would be interested in knowing they are being ministered to.

So I guess the easy answer to the question is - if the excommunicated member will allow contact then it should be happening via home teacher, visiting teacher or someother means set up by the Bishop.

Return to “Reports and Forms”