A New Bishop, What to do?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
johnshaw

A New Bishop, What to do?

Post by johnshaw »

Yesterday we received a new Bishopric and the calling of a new Bishop. With this comes many changes, etc, and as I've looked around the wiki, ldsclerks.com, and these forums I have not seen this topic mentioned. It may be because I didn't find it, and if something is out there I would appreciate someone's help by pointing me in the right direction. However, what I'm curious about is as the clerk, what do I need to take care of for the 'changing of the guard'? There are some obvious things (signature card, etc...) are there gotchas or experienced clerks out there with some kind of checklist?

-thanks
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The biggest thing I've seen that doesn't always happen promptly is the updating of the name w/ the church directory of leaders. This is something the stake should take care of. Oddly enough, it does not happen automatically with the calling of a new bishop. There is a form the stake should have that lists the current bishop and some of his info. When a bishop is replaced, the old form is taken and the old info is crossed out and the new information is written on the paper. The "updated" sheet is faxed/mailed to HQ (sorry, don't have the address or number on me, although they are on the sheet). A new form is mailed to the stake with this new info on it. If it's correct, it's filed. If not, the corrections are noted on the sheet and the same process is repeated until the info is accurate.

Once this has been completed, order new stationary (mainly tithing envelopes). Also, once this is completed, your bishop will have access to the CDOL and Missionary recommend site by nature of his calling (no one in the stake has to go in and grant him access).

Until this is done, all official mailings will still go to the former bishop. Also, when calling to order things like new recommend books, they verify by asking for the bishop's mailing address. All distribution center orders are also mailed to the bishop's address HQ has on file.

Since you can't do this, I'd just follow up with the stake to make sure this happens. In the meantime, don't order any new tithing slips until it does or you'll get them with the former bishop's address on them. Hope this helps.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

See the Information Change Request Form article for more details on obtaining and submitting that form.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

We recently had a new counselor called to the bishopric. I spent the week doing everything I could think of to make sure everything was taken care of. I made sure the ordination to High Priest was recorded, that he was added as a member of the bishopric in MLS, changed everything on the website, made sure handbooks were passed on to him, got him his keys, and completed the signature card, and referred him to the clerk training website to review record keeping policies before doing tithing. Phew, finally, everything was done. The first time he sat down to do tithing I ended up getting a call from him at home. His question: "What's my user name and password?"

DOH!

I know it's obvious, but if you haven't already done so, create a user account in MLS for your new bishopric.
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

nutterb wrote:The first time he sat down to do tithing I ended up getting a call from him at home. His question: "What's my user name and password?"

DOH!

I know it's obvious, but if you haven't already done so, create a user account in MLS for your new bishopric.
Too funny! On my Ward PC, I just have as users; Bishop, 1st Counsellor, 2nd Counsellor, Executive Secretary and Ward Clerk.

I just have the members names allocated to that user and just have to reset the password for that user.
..::[ Kolisi Kepu ]::..
Joomla King
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kolisikepu wrote:On my Ward PC, I just have as users; Bishop, 1st Counsellor, 2nd Counsellor, Executive Secretary and Ward Clerk.

I just have the members names allocated to that user and just have to reset the password for that user.
To avoid re-hashing a past debate, I'll just reference the Wiki.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”