streaming lds media to iphone/android/web

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
jeromatron-p40

streaming lds media to iphone/android/web

Post by jeromatron-p40 »

Pandora.com and last.fm provide streaming music services via the web and are now have great little apps for the iphone and android phones.

I was thinking of taking a part of that idea and applying it to streaming media that the Church might host. General Conference, books like Jesus the Christ, and the Scriptures take a *lot* of space to store on a mobile device as well as on a computer, especially when one wants to archive past General Conferences.

What I thought would be nice is a web interface as well as a simple iphone/android app to be able to navigate through that content and stream it on demand. For the Scriptures, it could be something like by book, but also be able to start at a given chapter. For Conference, it could be by Conference, by speaker regardless of session or year, just stuff from the Priesthood Session, just from the First Presidency during Priesthood Session, music from the Tabernacle Choir (if rights are okay with that), etc. It could start streaming - even creating a list on the fly according to that criteria a little like pandora/last.fm.

I just think it would be nice to have it for the web/devices so that it could be streamed easily instead of having to have all of them locally.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

jeromatron wrote:Pandora.com and last.fm provide streaming music services via the web and are now have great little apps for the iphone and android phones.

I was thinking of taking a part of that idea and applying it to streaming media that the Church might host. General Conference, books like Jesus the Christ, and the Scriptures take a *lot* of space to store on a mobile device as well as on a computer, especially when one wants to archive past General Conferences.

What I thought would be nice is a web interface as well as a simple iphone/android app to be able to navigate through that content and stream it on demand. For the Scriptures, it could be something like by book, but also be able to start at a given chapter. For Conference, it could be by Conference, by speaker regardless of session or year, just stuff from the Priesthood Session, just from the First Presidency during Priesthood Session, music from the Tabernacle Choir (if rights are okay with that), etc. It could start streaming - even creating a list on the fly according to that criteria a little like pandora/last.fm.

I just think it would be nice to have it for the web/devices so that it could be streamed easily instead of having to have all of them locally.
Interesting idea. I'll share it with people in our curriculum department since it would require their approval and cooperation to make this happen.

Tom
hg4144

LDS books and more for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Post by hg4144 »

:):)
I can't believe that I haven't tried this before, but just last night I subscribed to GOSPELINK.COM **** Now everyone knows that Gospelink.com is owned by Deseret book -- and it has the most extensive collection of books to read online.************ Well, I tried it on my iPod Touch *******BINGO ******** It works so well in Landscape mode. I use eReader a lot, and I have to say Knowing Gospelink and the iPhone/iPod Touch combination is the best news. Subscription is about $5/ month. -- Howard from Devon

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”