Custom Report -- Organization is Stake Presidency

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
waltbristow

Custom Report -- Organization is Stake Presidency

Post by waltbristow »

In an effort to make sure that organization assignments of members were correct, I created a custom report that showed all the organization/class assignments of members. It revealed a number of issues. One of the more interesting is that there were members who were assigned to the "Stake Presidency" -- none of whom are actually members of the stake presidency.

I then created a custom report using the criteria "Organization Class is Stake Presidency" and discovered there are 21 members of our ward who are listed as being in this 'organization'.

I thought that maybe I could go to an affected individual's record and click on "Reset Organizations For Member" to clear it out. Didn't happen.

Nor can I see anywhere where this "organization" is listed to see the 'rules' being used to make these assignments.

Anyone know how to get rid of these assignments? It's no big deal but, along with the other various 'wrong' assignments, it provides a level of curiosity about how many other such 'glitches' there are -- and whether I need to carefully look at all members to make sure that rolls for classes are accurate.

Walt Bristow
Lynchburg (VA) 2nd Ward Clerk
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

wbristow wrote:In an effort to make sure that organization assignments of members were correct, I created a custom report that showed all the organization/class assignments of members. It revealed a number of issues. One of the more interesting is that there were members who were assigned to the "Stake Presidency" -- none of whom are actually members of the stake presidency.

I then created a custom report using the criteria "Organization Class is Stake Presidency" and discovered there are 21 members of our ward who are listed as being in this 'organization'.

I thought that maybe I could go to an affected individual's record and click on "Reset Organizations For Member" to clear it out. Didn't happen.

Nor can I see anywhere where this "organization" is listed to see the 'rules' being used to make these assignments.

Anyone know how to get rid of these assignments? It's no big deal but, along with the other various 'wrong' assignments, it provides a level of curiosity about how many other such 'glitches' there are -- and whether I need to carefully look at all members to make sure that rolls for classes are accurate.

Walt Bristow
Lynchburg (VA) 2nd Ward Clerk
I recently fixed a somewhat similar issue that may be helpful.

We had two brethren show up in the "Sisters Not Assigned to Be Visit Taught" report. We traced the cause of this being that they were assigned to the Relief Society organization/class. And we traced this issue back to a mistaken assignment of RS callings; namely, a clerk accidentally assigned the husbands to RS callings, instead of their wives. Apparently, this automatically added them to the RS organization/class, which affected the Visiting Teaching report. When we removed the two brethren from the callings, they were still listed as a part of the RS organization/class. We had to also perform a "Reset Organization For Member" as well on the two brethren before it was all cleared up. It also seemed necessary to log off and exit MLS to help the database finalize the clean up of the data.

Now this makes me wonder if these 21 members used to be (even on accident) assigned to some calling in the "Stake Presidency" organization. This doesn't have to include the default callings either (President, Counselor, Clerk, Secretary, etc.); it could be that they were given a custom-created calling in that organization. Perhaps this would trigger an automated assignment to the "Stake Presidency" class. But that still seems odd that there is a class for that organization? Although, I must admit, I've never used a Stake install of MLS, so maybe that fact is normal and expected.

Good luck, and please post back with any followup questions or issues, and also what your resolution is (if you are lucky enough to get to one soon!). :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wbristow wrote:In an effort to make sure that organization assignments of members were correct, I created a custom report that showed all the organization/class assignments of members. It revealed a number of issues. One of the more interesting is that there were members who were assigned to the "Stake Presidency" -- none of whom are actually members of the stake presidency.

The first step is to find out where the organization comes from within MLS. It is not a built-in organization for a ward installation of MLS, so someone must have added it manually to your MLS installation.

In addition to built-in organizations and classes (which we have already ruled out), there are three possible sources for a custom class:
  • A Sunday School class. These can be seen in MLS by going to Organizations > Sunday School (under Bishopric/Other Callings). The classes appear below the callings sections (or you can use the Show dropdown to limit the display to just Classes).
  • A Primary class. These can be seen in MLS by going to Organizations > Primary (under Bishopric/Other Callings). The classes appear below the callings sections (or you can use the Show dropdown to limit the display to just Classes).
  • A custom organization. These can be seen in MLS by going to Organizations > Other Callings (under Bishopric/Other Callings). By default, on the left you would see "Miscellaneous", "Out of Unit Callings", and "Custom Positions." Any additional organizations listed must have been added manually.
This last one may seem odd, since it is used for leadership positions, and not for class membership. But any custom organization that is added does then become an option on Custom Reports when selecting a criterion for an Organization Class. This seems like an MLS bug to me, since it serves no useful purpose, and doesn't even work right (it doesn't select members properly based on being a leader of that "class" -- it selects everyone).

I can't find any way to make someone a member (as opposed to a leader) of a custom organization, so this might not apply to your situation, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness, since you don't seem to be able to find the organization in MLS.

It seems the most likely place someone might have added a "Stake Presidency" class would be to Sunday School. If they did this, they might very well have specified incorrect rules, which could cause new move-ins or individuals who have their organizations reset to get added to that class automatically.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”