MLS and the Internet

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
vdemand

MLS and the Internet

Post by vdemand »

My apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I think just about everyone here may be able to answer this question.

Our meeting house was recently approved to extend Internet access from the FHC connectivity to each of the clerks' offices. All is well with that...not even issues with the Internet filtering. However, we have not been successful cutting MLS over to communicating across the Internet. Our STS has tried and has opened a ticket with the Help Desk, but has not been able to successfully set us up. Every attempt to Send/Receive results in an immediate Afaria error. I'd give the exact area, but I'm posting this from home rather than the clerk's' office.

Does anyone have any general guidance on the required steps to switch Afaria from using dial-up to Internet? What are the key things that need to be changed to make this happen?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

vdemand wrote:My apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I think just about everyone here may be able to answer this question.

Our meeting house was recently approved to extend Internet access from the FHC connectivity to each of the clerks' offices. All is well with that...not even issues with the Internet filtering. However, we have not been successful cutting MLS over to communicating across the Internet. Our STS has tried and has opened a ticket with the Help Desk, but has not been able to successfully set us up. Every attempt to Send/Receive results in an immediate Afaria error. I'd give the exact area, but I'm posting this from home rather than the clerk's' office.

Does anyone have any general guidance on the required steps to switch Afaria from using dial-up to Internet? What are the key things that need to be changed to make this happen?
The switch is actually quite simple. In the systems menu of MLS there a selection where you choose "Modem", "Auto" or "Internet". Choosing Internet will make the switch.

If you're having problems it may require a re-install of MLS, including the Afaria package. The STS can handle this. Be sure that a backup is made prior.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:If you're having problems it may require a re-install of MLS, including the Afaria package. The STS can handle this. Be sure that a backup is made prior.
And don't do it on a weekend or you're likely to get a "security error" and unable to send/receive by any means until you can call church support to reset it.

However, the symptoms suggest that either the computer is not functional on the network or MLS has been set to "Modem" only.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy gave the simple steps in MLS for setting it to communicate using the Internet. It is under System Options on the System screen. In general, it is a good idea to keep the phone line connected so you can use dial-up as a backup if there are Internet connection problems at the time you need to make a transmission. That is why there is an "Auto Detect" setting in addition to the simple "Use Modem" and "Use Internet" settings.

While you're troubleshooting an Internet connection problem, you might set that to Use Internet, but once you get it working, it's good to leave it at Auto Detect. That way non-administrator MLS users will be able to transmit, even if there are Internet connection problems.

But I'm curious about getting the immediate Afaria error. If I were troubleshooting this, I would check out a few things:
  1. Make sure you have a good Internet connection. Can you browse to lds.org, for example?
  2. Check the setting in MLS under System Options > System as described above.
  3. With the phone line still connected, do you hear any modem transmission sounds?
  4. When you connect MLS using the Internet, you should get a message about connecting to a server called rmt.ldschurch.org. As you watch the various messages displayed during the Send/Receive process, is that server mentioned?
  5. Note that even if you are connecting using the Internet, one of the dialogs that pops up briefly has a title of "Dialing" and has a telephone icon. Don't be confused by this. But if it is present for more than a couple of seconds, then it's likely that MLS is trying dial-up.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”