General Conference on satellite radio?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
KAnderson

General Conference on satellite radio?

Post by KAnderson »

For this upcoming General Conference my family will be traveling and I would like to figure out someway to listen while we do so. My first thought was that maybe it was broadcast on satellite radio. If it was I would be happy to buy one for the trip. My second thought was using some 3G type technology to access the internet and listen (or even better watch) on my notebook. Since I am from Canada traveling in the US I can see a number of problems with that. Of course the third thought was to just stay home but this trip has been planned for a long time so I wouldn't be very popular.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Kevin
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

There's nothing on Satellite radio (XM or Sirius) at present, although everyone wishes.

The best thing is 3G technology on wireless handsets, as you can tune into Internet radio on some of these, and BYU radio, KBYU-FM, KSL AM-FM, and some of the stations elsewhere that run Conference have a web stream of their programming. There are a number of options this way.
KAnderson

short term 3G plan

Post by KAnderson »

Thanks for your quick reply.

To do the 3G solution I would need a provider that I could use on a temporary basis (maybe sign up for a month's plan) and would have to be essentially unlimited data given that I don't want to be paying $1/MB to listen to conference. I am fairly certain that most US providers would require some longer term of service but it would be nice to hear otherwise.

Does anyone know of short term unlimited data plan?
sjourdains-p40

We need a church satellite channel

Post by sjourdains-p40 »

I read and note from a brother who was expressing an interest in having the ability to listen to general conference on satellite. I wish that BYU or the church could somehow implement the satellite channel so we can travel and be able to listen to inspirational thoughts and good music and talks on satellite radio. I drive truck all over the country and I would really enjoy a channel on the satellite radio for that purpose. I'm sure that XM serious radio would have a interest in anything that would help them and their programming.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That would obviously be the ideal, however, if you have a smartphone, you can already pick up BYU Radio on those. iPhone apps exist where you can add BYU Radio to the list of stations, some you need to add it manually, others have it as part of the list of stations. These include ooTunes.com, FStream, CastCatcher, and others. If you can't add the stream to your phone's program or iPhone streaming app, contact the program's website about how to add it or to ask them to add it.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

JamesAnderson wrote:The best thing is 3G technology on wireless handsets
Well, maybe in another year or three this will be true when on the road traveling. Right now, in my area for example, 3G is only available in the Oklahoma City vicinity and Tulsa area. If you are are on the road and hoping to have a constant 3G signal, you are likely to lose it as soon as you get away from metropolitan areas. I've even had problems maintaining a reliable signal with Edge on my iPhone.

This is not the case with satellite radio.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At this point I think there's only one satellite radio provider out there. The key would be to convince them to add the channel.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
PaulRobichaux-p40

Post by PaulRobichaux-p40 »

We faced the same situation during the April GC this year. We tried to use a program called ooTunes on my iPhone; the developer (who's apparently LDS, and may even hang out here) had added KSL and BYU Radio as streams. This worked OK for a short while, until we got into the hills of western Tennessee. At that point, signal quality was so inconsistent that we couldn't get a steady audio stream. We tried again on Sunday and found that the coverage around Shreveport (Louisiana) was good enough to suffice. Later that night a friend e-mailed me to say that the conference talks had been posted as podcasts on ITMS, so that covered our listening for the rest of the trip.

Having said that, man, it sure would have been easier to just punch a channel into the satellite radio and get the whole thing :)
gmsumsino-p40

Update

Post by gmsumsino-p40 »

This is from the website of "The Mormon Channel", the official radio station of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:

[INDENT] Satellite Radio?
Conversations continue with Sirius XM about adding Mormon Channel.

[/INDENT]Looks like another General Conference without satellite radio.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gmsumsino wrote:This is from the website of "The Mormon Channel", the official radio station of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
FYI, the URL for the information referenced above is: http://radio.lds.org/eng/how-to-listen; the item mentioned is at the bottom of the page.

Return to “General Discussions”