LDS Account and LUWS e-mail address synchronization

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

After creating the LDS Account, the e-mail addresses do not synchronize with the LUWS system.

You can register different e-mail addresses in each system. And, the changed e-mail addresses are not synchronized. The LDS Account system requires an e-mail address verification. The LUWS system does not require that verification.

I suppose this is by design. However, I believe the LDS Account e-mail address willl become stale very quickly and it may not serve its purpose. When changing the e-mail address, the prompt states:
After your LDS Account is created, your e-mail address will only be used for account recovery. Your e-mail address will never be used for other purposes.
Because the LDS Account e-mail address will be used rarely, it will probably not be maintained and kept current by the end-user. The LUWS e-mail address will probably be maintained because ward website administrators will contact members when the e-mails start bouncing.

I'm not sure if having different e-mail addresses in the two systems is an issue.

It could be an issue if a user forgets the user name and requests for the verification e-mail to be sent. This e-mail will be sent the address that was provided when the LDS Account was created and not to the address that the user most recently provided through the Update Profile link on the ward website.

I also assume confusion could result to members who are transitioning to the LDS Account because during the transition they may provide an updated e-mail address and not realize that the new e-mail address is not being propagated to the LUWS.

Is this picking at nits and gnats? Or, does anyone else think this could be problematic?

Thanks,
Dennis
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At this point, I consider LUWS to still be in transition from the old login to the new. I've already noted in another thread that the "registered users" list still shows my old ID. I think we need to wait about 90 days to see what settles out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

RussellHltn wrote:At this point, I consider LUWS to still be in transition from the old login to the new. I've already noted in another thread that the "registered users" list still shows my old ID. I think we need to wait about 90 days to see what settles out.

90 days from when? So we're looking around the end of May, beginning of June, right?
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote:90 days from when? So we're looking around the end of May, beginning of June, right?
As of today, March 8:
You have 86 days before your user account will expire.
So, we are looking at June 2, 2009 (If I have added and subtracted correctly).
ShirtsDre

Registered Users list out of synch

Post by ShirtsDre »

It is true that the Registered Users list is not showing LDS Account names yet. This issue has been reported as a bug and is being worked on. The solution will hopefully be released long before the 90 day grace period is over.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:It is true that the Registered Users list is not showing LDS Account names yet. This issue has been reported as a bug and is being worked on. The solution will hopefully be released long before the 90 day grace period is over.

Thanks! :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

LDS Account credentials for LUWS

Post by jdlessley »

In the LUWS Update Profile page there are two places to change your e-mail address. The first is in the Login Information section. The second is at the Update password and other options page. Since I have an LDS Account I no longer have access to the old LUWS Update password and other options page. Therefore I vaguely remember a line on that page where the e-mail address could be changed.

If you have an LDS Account you will note that for the LUWS, when you go to the Update Profile page and click the Update password and other options link in the Change Password section you are taken to the LDS Account Profile Manager. This has replaced the old LUWS Update password and other options page. As a side note, I find it interesting that while you signed into the LUWS using your LDS Account credentials, that sign in does not carry over to the LDS Account Profile Manager. You must again sign in to continue to the LDS Account Profile Manager. Additional security or a bug?

I presume the issue concerning the e-mail address provided for the LDS Account signup not being the same as the one used in the LUWS will likely go away when the transition to the LDS Account is complete and the bug BillyBoJimBob addressed is corrected.

Since I am using the same e-mail address for both the LUWS and the LDS Account it is not an issue.

My question to BillyBoJimBob or any other Church employee in the know is what is going to happen to the editable E-mail Address: text box on the LUWS Update Profile page once the transition to LDS Account is complete. Will it be removed in favor of the LDS Account Profile Manager editable Personal E-mail Address: text box? If the LUWS Update Profile editable E-mail Address: text box remains will it update the e-mail address in the LDS Account Profile Manager?

Edit: See my next post. The old LUWS Update password and other options page is not available at all to anyone.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

While checking the behavior of the LUWS Update Profile page using my wife's credentials (she has not transitioned to LDS Account) I noted that when the Update password and other options link is clicked you are taken to the LDS Account site for both LDS Account users and those without an LDS Account. The difference being the signup for an LDS Account page is what you get if you don't already have an account versus the LDS Account Profile Manager (after signing in again of course) for LDS Account holders.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:While checking the behavior of the LUWS Update Profile page using my wife's credentials (she has not transitioned to LDS Account) I noted that when the Update password and other options link is clicked you are taken to the LDS Account site for both LDS Account users and those without an LDS Account. The difference being the signup for an LDS Account page is what you get if you don't already have an account versus the LDS Account Profile Manager (after signing in again of course) for LDS Account holders.

My wife tried her account (she has not transitioned to a LDS Account)
and it forced her to create a LDS Account and when she signed on and click
on "Update Profile", it gave her the older LUWS web page that allow
access to change her e-mail address.
Only when she clicked onUpdate password and other optionsdid it give her a “Sign In” page to allowher access to her new LDS Account
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:You must again sign in to continue to the LDS Account Profile Manager. Additional security or a bug?
It may well be additional security. I've seen other sites like that. In fact I have to log in again to do moderator or admin functions in tech.lds.org.
jdlessley wrote:I presume the issue concerning the e-mail address provided for the LDS Account signup not being the same as the one used in the LUWS will likely go away when the transition to the LDS Account is complete
I hope it doesn't. I want it going to a different address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”