new.FamilySearch Beta 2 ScreenShots

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
garysturn

new.FamilySearch Beta 2 ScreenShots

Post by garysturn »

Several people have been asking for some ScreenShots of the new.FamilySearch beta2 web site. Here is a link to a page with some Beta2 ScreenShots: http://newfamilyhistory.googlepages.com/home
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

GarysTurn wrote:Several people have been asking for some ScreenShots of the new.FamilySearch beta2 web site. Here is a link to a page with some Beta2 ScreenShots: http://newfamilyhistory.googlepages.com/home
Excellent! Thanks! The screenshots look great and I know a lot of people, I for one, are excited for the new Family Search site. The page of family history links was great too!
jeffvand

Post by jeffvand »

Wow! This looks AWESOME! I can't wait. Thanks for sharing!!
tomj
Community Moderators

My Filter!!

Post by tomj »

Uuuggghhh I can't wait to see the photos, my internet filter here at work won't let me in for some reason! Oh well, I'll check them out tonight.

Thanks for posting them.
iknovate

Design Evidences

Post by iknovate »

Thanks so much for these shots. This helps answer a lot of my design questions. Kudos to the design team! Keep at it.
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

I'm very impressed as well. Will this be completely web-based and replace PAF?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

ihenpecked wrote:I'm very impressed as well. Will this be completely web-based and replace PAF?
This has been discussed in other threads. I think the short answer is that there will be some API for accessing FamilySearch programatically. This would allow 3rd-party or open source software to integrate with FamilySearch in various ways. The whole solution appears to be a replacement of PAF.
garysturn

PAF future

Post by garysturn »

ihenpecked wrote:I'm very impressed as well. Will this be completely web-based and replace PAF?
This new system could be used in place of PAF but most people will still use PAF or some offline program. There have been rumors that someday PAF will be dropped, but the latest I have heard is that either PAF will be upgraded to sync with newFamilySearch or a new open source program will be developed by the Church to replace PAF.

The days of using only the internet for Family History are still years away, you have to remember that the Church is worldwide and there are many areas of the world without internet access. There are still a lot of people in the US using dial-up and doing everything online with dial-up is not very efficient.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The answer to the first is yes. The answer to the second depends on what you do with PAF. The most glaring issue to me is that the new FS won't store multimedia things to help make those names "come alive" such as photos. If you're only using the features of PAF 2 or PAF 3 then the new FS could replace it. If you're using all the features of PAF 4 or 5, then no.
Roger-p40

Merging Records

Post by Roger-p40 »

In the new family search under me and my ancestors I have listed 6 children. I actually only have 4. 2 of my children are listed twice but so far I have found no way to combine the children that are listed twice.

Both of these children have one record from the membership and one from the old 4 generation program submitted by me.

I have asked the question several times to the send us feedback with no answer.

Dose anyone know how to solve this so that I will only have 4 children on the FGS?

I would even be glad to have someone help me using the sign in to help someone else if possible.

Thanks
Roger

Return to “Family History”