Audio/Video specifications?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
skiptaylor

Audio/Video specifications?

Post by skiptaylor »

Is there available anywhere a copy of what the specifications would be for a replacement audio/video system for a stake center?

The new system they have put in has a lot of functionality missing and I'm told by our local FM group that this is the standard system and functionality the Church specifies.

Any help appreciated.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I believe that source is your local FM Group.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What functionality is missing? Then we can compare it to what we have.

As far as I've seen, the sound systems are quite standard. The Satellite system seems to vary quite a bit. Back around the time of the switch to digital satellite, they pulled out the patch panel and source selector switch that provided quite a bit of flexibility and functionality.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:I believe that source is your local FM Group.
And they say they are told by SLC what the specs are. Loop... :D
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:What functionality is missing? Then we can compare it to what we have.

As far as I've seen, the sound systems are quite standard. The Satellite system seems to vary quite a bit. Back around the time of the switch to digital satellite, they pulled out the patch panel and source selector switch that provided quite a bit of flexibility and functionality.
I really really prefer what we had. I feel like I've been moved to the stone age quite honestly. There was nothing wrong with the old system that was in place.

Here's the list so far:
  • The ability to record from satellite via our DVD Recorder or our VHS recorder (no place to plug it in). This was by RF feed before (and preferred)
  • The ability to playback via the component video/audio (to the chapel) a DVD or VHS via the players we have. (no place to plug it in out in the a/v closet)
  • No visible provision for audio backup to the audio system should the satellite fail. On the old system this was done via the telephone in the room with an adapter to feed the audio into the chapel sound system. I don't see anywhere to plug this in. I have the adapter.
  • No way to break out different languages (Spanish) so the audio can be fed into the translation unit transmitter. This way people of two languages can be in one room without one group having to watch things on a tiny television screen in a back room.
That's at least the start. Is this just a big hint they don't want us to do anything but turn it on?
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

avskip wrote:And they say they are told by SLC what the specs are. Loop... :D
The local FM Group applies an local codes to the specs given to them by SLC.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:The ability to record from satellite via our DVD Recorder or our VHS recorder (no place to plug it in).
Huh :confused: You can't record broadcasts? In ours they had a shelf and even provided the VCR. They did provide a RF out so I could connect our "stack" of VCRs for the foreign languages.

I prefer to do it via line-in, but our current system it's all done by RF.
avskip wrote:The ability to playback via the component video/audio (to the chapel) a DVD or VHS via the players we have. (no place to plug it in out in the a/v closet)
We lost that too. Not a big deal. We just haul the VCR down by the projector. It makes it easier to troubleshoot problems.
avskip wrote:No visible provision for audio backup to the audio system should the satellite fail. On the old system this was done via the telephone in the room with an adapter to feed the audio into the chapel sound system. I don't see anywhere to plug this in. I have the adapter.
From what I understand there's supposed to be a telephone jack in the room to help with troubleshooting. However, ours was disconnected some years ago and never reconnected. We have the EJ-10 crab box, but there's no phone jack near a mic input. Nor a mic input by the satellite system.
avskip wrote:No way to break out different languages (Spanish) so the audio can be fed into the translation unit transmitter. This way people of two languages can be in one room without one group having to watch things on a tiny television screen in a back room.
Cool idea. We've never done that.
avskip wrote:That's at least the start. Is this just a big hint they don't want us to do anything but turn it on?
If you've ever had to support a system in the hands of many different people, that's the ideal. :D

If I understand the first issue correctly, I'd be rattling cages over that. Every broadcast comes with instructions on taping, so that functionality must be permitted. Go to your stake president and have him talk with the FM group.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

For some reason I'm not able to get the normal quote screen, thus the numbers referring to items below.

1) No place to plug in anything to record at any level. Zero connectors. No RCA's no "F" sockets/jacks - no nothing. Not real happy about that. The SP is on a short vacation. I have a feeling he will be pretty upset about that one. The reason for RF is we are feeding a DVR/DVD Recorder. That used to allow me to record AND play the recording and get both languages using rebroadcasts. Playback happened with a switch throw and moving a pair of RCA cables. That won't happen anymore.

2) Once the DVR is in place I don't like to move it. Too much chance of HD damage. They did put an XLR plug and RCA audio jacks on the side of the pulpit. If they were going that far, why didn't the also hook up component video there? Would have made a LOT of things simpler.

3) So I guess if your satellite reciever flakes out, then you can go to another building with a satellite. That's anywhere from 25 to 50+ mile trip where I'm at. The audio would get it done without traveling. You should ask them why you don't have that. I'm going to. We have (had?) a working telephone jack in the A/V closet when all this started. Haven't checked to see if it works, but the phone is missing.

4) When I took this calling, the SP mentioned he was trying to help the Hispanics feel like they are part of the Church. Isolation doesn't do that. It actually came to me in a dream that actually woke me! Like a movie. It was all suddenly so simple. All you do is take the Spanish output from the satellite and, using a EJ-10 crab box, feed it to the translation receiver then hand out the translation headset/earphone combo's. I had a lot of people that were in tears (Hispanics) that no longer felt they were isolated from the Church and that someone cared. Guess that's out the window now.

I really do feel as if I've been thrown to the Stone Age with "modern" digital equipment. I think this change was brought along by age, not problems with the old equipment. I wish I had the old stuff back in place.

Someday maybe the ones making the specs will ask the people that are actually using the equipment what they need to be able to do. I wasn't asked. However I was told "The tech asked that no one try to make any adjustments or modifications to the system".

For some reason I feel like someone that just watched a boat sink.
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

From the sounds of things there needs to be a meeting between the FM Manager and the stake president. Before that happens, having an audio and video capabilities list based on 'old' equipment capabilities would be good. In talking with my FM Manager the stake president determines the needs for the stake. The only limitation to those needs usually becomes either the stake budget and/or the FM budget. Occassionally, as was the case for stringing CAT5 cable in our building, esthetics prevent some installations. Our FM manager told me that the Church provides the standard equipment and configurations and then the stake can add on, or modify, to meet local needs - of course with local budget funds.

Edit: If there are modifications to the 'standard' configuration and these modifications would cause problems with support from Church heaquarters then I would expect the FM Manager to deny the changes/modifications.
JD Lessley
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:From the sounds of things there needs to be a meeting between the FM Manager and the stake president. Before that happens, having an audio and video capabilities list based on 'old' equipment capabilities would be good. In talking with my FM Manager the stake president determines the needs for the stake. The only limitation to those needs usually becomes either the stake budget and/or the FM budget. Occassionally, as was the case for stringing CAT5 cable in our building, esthetics prevent some installations. Our FM manager told me that the Church provides the standard equipment and configurations and then the stake can add on, or modify, to meet local needs - of course with local budget funds.

Edit: If there are modifications to the 'standard' configuration and these modifications would cause problems with support from Church heaquarters then I would expect the FM Manager to deny the changes/modifications.
I have a feeling that will be taking place. Perhaps I should start on the list now. :D
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Satellite”