email broadcasts should use reply-to

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
cboling

email broadcasts should use reply-to

Post by cboling »

When broadcast emails are sent through LUWS, there is no [obvious] indication to the recipient that it was sent through LUWS. The church's server essentially impersonates the sender, using their email address alone.

Aside from the potential confusion, it also causes the emails to be rejected by some servers, or to be scored on the "spammy" side. For example, the email servers for many of the domains I control "know" that emails originating from unauthorized & unauthenticated sources and claiming to be from local users is spam, and instantly rejects it. Thus, if I send an email through the church system, nobody in my domains will ever get it. They may also know, for example, that AOL has a fixed set of email servers that they use for sending email, and *.ldschurch.org isn't one of them!

My opinion:

The more "polite" way for LUWS to send broadcast emails is to instead place my email address in a reply-to: field, and to place a more descriptive address, e.g. [INDENT]"Longview, WA Stake Web Site" <no-reply@lds.org>
[/INDENT]in the from: field and on the delivery "envelope".

This is the norm for mass mailing engines.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cboling wrote:When broadcast emails are sent through LUWS, there is no [obvious] indication to the recipient that it was sent through LUWS. The church's server essentially impersonates the sender, using their email address alone.

Aside from the potential confusion, it also causes the emails to be rejected by some servers, or to be scored on the "spammy" side. For example, the email servers for many of the domains I control "know" that emails originating from unauthorized & unauthenticated sources and claiming to be from local users is spam, and instantly rejects it. Thus, if I send an email through the church system, nobody in my domains will ever get it. They may also know, for example, that AOL has a fixed set of email servers that they use for sending email, and *.ldschurch.org isn't one of them!

My opinion:

The more "polite" way for LUWS to send broadcast emails is to instead place my email address in a reply-to: field, and to place a more descriptive address, e.g.
[INDENT]"Longview, WA Stake Web Site" <no-reply@lds.org>
[/INDENT]in the from: field and on the delivery "envelope".

This is the norm for mass mailing engines.
The problems with broadcast e-mails has been addressed in several other threads. Here are just some of them:
Personal E-Mail Address vs. Role E-mail Address on LUWS
Broadcast Email Is Unreliable
Problems with email broadcast system
Broadcast email question
Blocked emails from Church website

The Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List is a thread where recommended changes to the LUWS are made and discussed. Similar requests to yours have been posted there. You can see what the developers have on their plate for the next revision of the LUWS at the LUWS Feedback and Suggestions wiki in which there is a section specifically for e-mail broadcasts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”