Showcasing the Website for a Ward Talent Show

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
AileneRHerrick

Showcasing the Website for a Ward Talent Show

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Hello All!

So our ward talent show is coming up on April 10th, and I wanted to showcase the ward website as my talent.

So, obviously, I won’t be “performing” per se… but I will probably set up a table with information, handouts, sign-up sheets (i.e. a “help me get a new LDS Account”), etc… A lot of people will likely be seated and not necessarily want to get up during performances… so I also thought about circulating a couple of binders with highlights and stuff in it…

Also I could get up for a couple minutes as part of my “talent” and do a Q&A or something about the website I think…

Anyway, I could really use some suggestions from you wonderful people in the forum about how to pull this all off! I would like it to be informative without it being boring… Please make this an active hot thread, and perhaps everyone can use it to their advantage!!!

Thanks so much! I look forward to everyone’s feedback!

Ailene
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

AileneRHerrick wrote:So our ward talent show is coming up on April 10th, and I wanted to showcase the ward website as my talent.
Anyway, I could really use some suggestions from you wonderful people in the forum about how to pull this all off! I would like it to be informative without it being boring… Please make this an active hot thread, and perhaps everyone can use it to their advantage!!!
What a wonderfully geeky talent you have! This sounds like it could be fun, and it's definitely not the usual fare for ward talent shows.

One thing that might help is a testimonial or two. In my experience, I can preach the value of the websites all I want, and it doesn't have as much effect as when someone at the grass roots gets the vision. For example, when one of our ward clerks figured out that resource scheduling would allow members to see the entire resource calendar and pick their dates and make requests online, he started talking it up among his ward members, and that ward now contains some of our strongest advocates for using the website.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

AileneRHerrick wrote:So our ward talent show is coming up on April 10th, and I wanted to showcase the ward website as my talent.

So, obviously, I won’t be “performing” per se…

Why not? Go for the short two- or three-person skit.

Sister needs freezer in kitchen to store ice sculpture for RS lesson and can't find any of the bishopric who are all out fishing or scouting or something. Member runs into geek in hallway who says, Look at this wonderful on-line resource for scheduling resources at the meetinghouse. Sculpture is saved from flaming destruction.

Or, brother is asked to organize a move party for a family, but does not know where they live. He goes to the LUWS and finds not only the address, but a list of others who can come to the party, complete with phone numbers, including the fellow who works at the bottling plant and will be able to bring the root beer to the party.

You know, something simple like that. Be creative and funny.

(PS: You have permission to use those ideas, if you are brave enough. [grin] Enjoy.)
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Good ideas thus far...

Any ideas that would encourage audience participation and get the crowd excited? I thought about having chocolates and asking questions about the website and tossing chocolate to people who answered questions correctly... also maybe some True/False statements where I get the crowd to yell at me "TRUE!" or "FALSE!"

For example...
There's no way to sign up to feed the missionaries on the website...
FALSE!

or

You can print a photo directory from the ward website...
TRUE!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

AileneRHerrick wrote:I thought about having chocolates and asking questions about the website and tossing chocolate to people who answered questions correctly
Ummmmm.... Chocolate! Can I come?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dmaynes

How about a website contest?

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Anyway, I could really use some suggestions from you wonderful people in the forum about how to pull this all off! I would like it to be informative without it being boring… Please make this an active hot thread, and perhaps everyone can use it to their advantage!!!
Here's one idea: Run a contest!

Photo contest: the most hilarious photo, the most precarious photo, the most nefarious photo, etc.

Gastronomical contest: the most indulgent recipe, the least expensive meal for a family of four, the most mouth-watering recipe.

You can present the contest winners for your talent

Thanks,
Dennis
mtwerner

Post by mtwerner »

AileneRHerrick wrote:For example...
There's no way to sign up to feed the missionaries on the website...
FALSE!

I've used the LUWS extensively, but I can't think of how this would be done. Can you elaborate?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mtwerner wrote:I've used the LUWS extensively, but I can't think of how this would be done. Can you elaborate?

One way would certainly be to create a resource calendar just for feeding the missionaries.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mtwerner wrote:I've used the LUWS extensively, but I can't think of how this would be done. Can you elaborate?
How about making a resource called "feed the missionaries"? Only one person/family could sign for any one time slot.

(Yes, I have a child serving a full-time mission.)
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

jdlessley wrote:Ummmmm.... Chocolate! Can I come?

If you're making a trip to Everett, Washington anytime soon, then sure! :)

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”