Public Affairs email announcements

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
emckirdy

Public Affairs email announcements

Post by emckirdy »

I recently signed up to receive announcements from the church's PR department - they come via email from publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org.

There is always a vague subject line, but the emails never actually contains anything other than links to forward this vague email to other people. Here's one I got yesterday:

----------------------------------------------

Subject: The Publicity Dilemma: Church Statement on Big Love
Date: March 9, 2009 1:25:26 PM PDT
To: eric@ericmckirdy.com
Reply-To: publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org

Greetings!

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.j ... 2496708656

This email was sent to eric@ericmckirdy.com by publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org.

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.js ... xSyg%3D%3D

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.js ... xSyg%3D%3D

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CC ... Policy.jsp

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints | 15 East South Temple | Salt Lake City | UT | 84150
-------------------------------------------------------------

If the point really is to convey an entire story in one subject line, it's not working for me. Can this be changed?

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

emckirdy wrote:I recently signed up to receive announcements from the church's PR department - they come via email from publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org.

There is always a vague subject line, but the emails never actually contains anything other than links to forward this vague email to other people.
If the point really is to convey an entire story in one subject line, it's not working for me. Can this be changed?
You raise a good point -- it seems odd that there isn't even a link to the article itself. But I doubt that anyone from Public Affairs will see your post. I'd recommend that you contact them directly at publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org
emckirdy

Post by emckirdy »

I have replied three times now, and never had a response. I suspect replies to their mass e-mails are probably routed straight to the spam folder.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

emckirdy wrote:I have replied three times now, and never had a response. I suspect replies to their mass e-mails are probably routed straight to the spam folder.
That may be. I wasn't suggesting that you reply to the message, but rather that you send e-mail directly. I know it goes to the same e-mail address, but a direct message may get past the spam filter. After all, the registration message says:
Thanks again for registering. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Public Affairs
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
email: publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org
So it seems that they do welcome feedback, if you can get past the spam filter. I would suggest at least changing the subject of your e-mail message.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Sorry, costantcontact.com is a Church's site?
I went there but it doesn't seem so!:confused:
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini_vi wrote:Sorry, costantcontact.com is a Church's site?
I went there but it doesn't seem so!:confused:
ConstantContact is a third party that the Church's Public Affairs department uses to manage e-mail subscriptions.

You seem to be implying that there is some problem with using a non-Church server to manage e-mail subscriptions. I personally don't see any problem with the Church using effective technology from third parties when it meets the needs and is cost effective. Do you see something wrong with this approach?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Alan_Brown wrote:ConstantContact is a third party that the Church's Public Affairs department uses to manage e-mail subscriptions.

You seem to be implying that there is some problem with using a non-Church server to manage e-mail subscriptions. I personally don't see any problem with the Church using effective technology from third parties when it meets the needs and is cost effective. Do you see something wrong with this approach?
(... jumping into the middle of the thread ...)

Of course, the Church can use any third-party service providers it wants. There is one problem, though. When I receive email claiming to be from party A (the Church in this case) that tells me to go to party B's website, especially when I have never heard of party B, I can't tell whether it's really from party A or a phisher. When I receive email from my bank (or another bank) telling me to go to a website based in another hemisphere to confirm my account information, I don't follow the links.

A couple of years ago, I received email claiming to be from FamilySearch inviting me to take a survey at some third-party website I had never heard of. I was happy to take the survey AFTER I confirmed with FamilySearch that it was legitimate. I would think it would be better if there were possible for the URLs in the email message to be to a recognizable domain.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

emckirdy wrote:I recently signed up to receive announcements from the church's PR department - they come via email from publicaffairs-slc@ldschurch.org.

There is always a vague subject line, but the emails never actually contains anything other than links to forward this vague email to other people. Here's one I got yesterday:

This is very strange. I received the same e-mail. The body of the e-mail I received looked like:
Newsroom.lds.org Updates in Your Inbox!

The Publicity Dilemma: Church Statement on Big Love

SALT LAKE CITY | 9 March 2009 | Like other large faith groups, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sometimes finds itself on the receiving end of attention from Hollywood or Broadway, television series or books, and the news media. Sometimes depictions of the Church and its people are quite accurate. Sometimes the images are false or play to stereotypes. Occasionally, they are in appallingly bad taste. "Full-story-URL"

"Forward email URL"

For some reason, your e-mail system appears to be stripping out the text from the e-mail. I'm not sure that I know why this is happening. The reason I am replying is to indicate that your experience is not universal, so the problem is not with e-mail composition or content. The problem appears to be with e-mail filtering or delivery.

Thanks,
Dennis
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmaynes wrote:This is very strange. I received the same e-mail. The body of the e-mail I received looked like:

For some reason, your e-mail system appears to be stripping out the text from the e-mail. I'm not sure that I know why this is happening. The reason I am replying is to indicate that your experience is not universal, so the problem is not with e-mail composition or content. The problem appears to be with e-mail filtering or delivery.

Did you request HTML or text-only delivery? The message emckirdy received looked like text-only, but the one you quoted looked more like HTML.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Alan_Brown wrote: Do you see something wrong with this approach?
Not, not at all.
I'm thinking that this must be known by the user.
That's all.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “General Discussions”