Scriptures and other Church Publications for Kindle

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
bhall

Scriptures and other Church Publications for Kindle

Post by bhall »

Does anyone know if the church plans on releasing official versions of the scriptures or other publications (manuals, etc.) in the Kindle format? I have an iPod touch and I just installed Kindle for iPhone, and found it to be a wonderful reader. I guess I could just drop the $15 and get the Scriptures.app for iPhone/iPod touch.
urbancv54-p40

Post by urbancv54-p40 »

Although I don't have a Kindle, from what I have read the Kindle will support the Mobipocket format. . The same company, Amazon, owns both formats.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

bhall7 wrote:Does anyone know if the church plans on releasing official versions of the scriptures or other publications (manuals, etc.) in the Kindle format? I have an iPod touch and I just installed Kindle for iPhone, and found it to be a wonderful reader. I guess I could just drop the $15 and get the Scriptures.app for iPhone/iPod touch.
There is also a iPhone free app of the LDS scriptures at the app store.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

And be sure to watch the Church-sponsored, Community-developed iPhone scriptures application, found on the LDS Tech Wiki:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/iPh ... pplication
BigMG-p40

What's so hot about mobi on Kindle?

Post by BigMG-p40 »

I've been using Mobipocket for years and really don't like it. If Kindle can only offer that as an app then it's iTouch for me. The LDS apps for iTouch/iPhone is superior.
1. I don't like the hassle of not having the links work.
2. It would be nice to have the chapter descriptions available, which are not w/mobi
3. Ensign for the mobi format is usually a month old. By the time it comes out, you've already had to print out a hard copy to follow the lesson given the first week.
4. The HTML converter is so-so.
5. Going from scripture to scripture just seems a chore. Granted my pda is a Zodiac II but all the apps were designed for that era of speed. Mobi was dreadfully slow.
Finally switched to MMS (Mark My Scriptures) They don't do much more, but the ability to go from scripture to scripture is vastly faster.

All these issues have been overcome with iTouch apps, and with the 15 minutes of play time I got on one, I'm a convert.

Kindle looks very, very, attractive. Something in the back of my mind keeps telling me to hold off. I read a lot of books and it is very tempting to have something that portable but someone needs to convince me of it's 'Church-Friendly' qualities.
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

If you are still thinking about the Kindle and the scriptures, here is a great article on the topic in Mormontimes.com

http://www.mormontimes.com/mormon_voice ... d/?id=7297
David_H-p40

The BN nook

Post by David_H-p40 »

Anyone tried the New Barnes and Noble Nook. It looks interesting, and I am particularly interested in the Scriptures for the Nook.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

E-Ink readers are great for reading and marking your place but they are to slow for class room use where you need to look up a scripture quickly. I have the free scriptures App for my iPhone and can look up a scripture in the class room as fast or faster then people can with their scriptures.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
Wegg-p40

Post by Wegg-p40 »

David_H wrote:Anyone tried the New Barnes and Noble Nook. It looks interesting, and I am particularly interested in the Scriptures for the Nook.
I have one and have been trying to find a way of getting the scriptures onto it. Believe it or not I got the RLDS Book of Mormon on it easier than anything official from the chruch. :mad:
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Are Community of Christ scriptures available eletronically? It's an interesting (but frustrating) thing to see.

Return to “Gospel Library”