Non-resident member access appears to be broken

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

Non-resident member access appears to be broken

Post by dmaynes »

A member of my ward is currently serving on the high council of a student stake. This member has non-resident access to the ward website where he is assigned in the student stake.

Unfortunately, when this member signs in to the ward website, he is shown the student ward's main page and is unable to access his home ward's (my ward) main page.

The member had the old LUWS login credentials and I verified the problem using his user name and password with the old credentials.

I then had the member create a new LDS Account and sign in to the ward website. The member was again taken to the main page of the student ward and there does not appear to be a way for the member to access the home ward's website. He kept his user name and password the same when he created the LDS Account and I verified that my ward's website did not appear for him using both IE and Firefox using the new LDS Account credentials.

Should I submit a trouble ticket? How do I do that?

This member is assigned as a non-resident member in the BYU 136th Ward. By the way, the main page for this ward website has a display error. https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,978 ... 6,00.html?. The stake name is "sqwunched" up (or scrunched) beneath the ward name in the upper left hand corner. It looks really odd.

I tried looking at the profile under both the ward website and in LDS Account and I saw no indication of the member's home ward.

Thanks,
Dennis
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dmaynes wrote:A member of my ward is currently serving on the high council of a student stake. This member has non-resident access to the ward website where he is assigned in the student stake.

Unfortunately, when this member signs in to the ward website, he is shown the student ward's main page and is unable to access his home ward's (my ward) main page.
I thought a non-resident member could also access his home ward/stake. The default login will take him to the student stake, but can he not access his own ward using a direct link, such as:

https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-126616,00.html

with the correct unit number in place of the student stake number?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe his membership record got transferred?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lajackson wrote:I thought a non-resident member could also access his home ward/stake. The default login will take him to the student stake, but can he not access his own ward using a direct link, such as:

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe his membership record got transferred?
I think dmaynes might be suggesting it used to work, but because of the LDS Account transition something has gone awry.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dmaynes wrote:Unfortunately, when this member signs in to the ward website, he is shown the student ward's main page and is unable to access his home ward's (my ward) main page.
Is this something that used to work in the past or is this a new situation? I can understand that there will be no obvious link to the "other" stake. I don't think the UI supports having two "homes". But if you navigate there manually, I'd expect him to have full access. What happens if he clicks on "Stake and Ward Websites" in the lower left side and searches for his home ward?

And as suggested, you might check with his home ward to make sure his records haven't been transfered.

dmaynes wrote:This member is assigned as a non-resident member in the BYU 136th Ward. By the way, the main page for this ward website has a display error. https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,978 ... 6,00.html?. The stake name is "sqwunched" up (or scrunched) beneath the ward name in the upper left hand corner. It looks really odd.
Looks fine to me (IE7, 1024x768 video, 100% zoom) The stake name is in smaller letters but is underneath the ward name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

lajackson wrote:I thought a non-resident member could also access his home ward/stake. The default login will take him to the student stake, but can he not access his own ward using a direct link, such as:

The direct link doesn't work, if the member is not signed in. When the member signs in the student ward's main page is displayed.

The membership record has not been transferred. This would be very strange to transfer the record of a retired gentleman from his home ward and family to a student ward several miles away.

The member is still listed in the directory of my ward and I can still see the member listed as a registered user.

However, the following work-around could be used:
1. Sign-in to the ward websites and see the main page of the student ward.
2. Enter the home ward's url in the address line after signing in.
This is such an obscure way to access the website that I do not believe it to be user friendly.

Thanks,
Dennis
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

RussellHltn wrote:Is this something that used to work in the past or is this a new situation? I can understand that there will be no obvious link to the "other" stake. I don't think the UI supports having two "homes".
I don't know. I was told at one time if you were assigned as a non-resident member for LUWS that upon sign-in you would be able to choose which ward you wanted to see.
But if you navigate there manually, I'd expect him to have full access. What happens if he clicks on "Stake and Ward Websites" in the lower left side and searches for his home ward?
If he follows this procedure, he can manually navigate to the home ward and access the pages on the home ward website.
And as suggested, you might check with his home ward to make sure his records haven't been transfered.
Since I can see his name in the directory for my home ward, I presume that his record has not been transferred. The member also shows up on the list of registered users for my home ward's website. I assume the scenario of transferring records is not an explanation for this functionality.

If this is functioning "as designed" I would think this is a very confusing design. There is no indication to this member that he can access his home ward's website.

Thanks,
Dennis
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dmaynes wrote:I don't know. I was told at one time if you were assigned as a non-resident member for LUWS that upon sign-in you would be able to choose which ward you wanted to see.

. . . he can manually navigate to the home ward and access the pages on the home ward website.
This is the way I always thought it would work. He logs in to the non-resident ward for the most part, but can still get to his home ward when needed. Sounds as if he still can do that, although it is cumbersome to get there.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmaynes wrote:I don't know. I was told at one time if you were assigned as a non-resident member for LUWS that upon sign-in you would be able to choose which ward you wanted to see.

This statement is true, but not in the way you were thinking it is true. Non-resident members are assigned to the stake in which they serve. Then within that stake, the stake site administrator can choose which ward in that stake they will land on when they login to LUWS.

However, there is no option for choosing to land on the home ward if you are a non-resident member of another stake -- you will always go to the designated ward of the stake in which you are serving as a non-resident member.

A simple browser bookmark makes it really easy for such people to go to the home ward once they login, so it shouldn't be too hard to manage access to the home ward.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

Alan_Brown wrote:A simple browser bookmark makes it really easy for such people to go to the home ward once they login, so it shouldn't be too hard to manage access to the home ward.
This was not obvious to me. I should be able to help others in the future. This is probably one of those quirky things that all website administrators eventually run into if you do this long enough.

Thanks for the explanation.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”