Phone Number Standardization

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ajames

Phone Number Standardization

Post by ajames »

Is there a quick way of standardizing phone numbers? In every ward I've seen, there are always a bunch of phone numbers in (xxx) xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx formats, and it'd be nice to choose one version, or the other, with out having to manually find and change each phone number.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ajames wrote:Is there a quick way of standardizing phone numbers? In every ward I've seen, there are always a bunch of phone numbers in (xxx) xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx formats, and it'd be nice to choose one version, or the other, with out having to manually find and change each phone number.
There's no way to do it in bulk -- you do have to change each number. But there is a technique that makes it pretty quick.
  1. In MLS, on the Membership panel under View and Update, choose Household Record.
  2. Choose the first household in the list.
  3. Select the Contact Information tab (or click Next)
  4. If the Primary Phone Number is already in your desired standard format, skip to step 8.
  5. Click the Edit link in the upper right corner.
  6. Enter the new phone number.
  7. Click the Save button (or hit Enter 4 times quickly if you find the keyboard to be quicker)
  8. Click on the blue right triangle (or hit F4) to go to the next household.
  9. Go to step 4 and repeat until you've done all the households.
By following this process, you only need to hit one keystroke (F4) or one click to skip past households that are correct, and it's just a few keystrokes to correct households that don't have standard phone numbers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ajames wrote:In every ward I've seen, there are always a bunch of phone numbers in (xxx) xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx formats, and it'd be nice to choose one version, or the other...
BTW, the Church has selected the xxx-xxx-xxxx format, so I would suggest changing everything to that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:BTW, the Church has selected the xxx-xxx-xxxx format, so I would suggest changing everything to that.

It has? I guess I missed that. That is not the format I use. I prefer the international format, especially since it is used by most businesses in our fair city, and by most members of our stake.

xxx.xxx.xxxx
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Last week the Church pushed the "801" area code down to all MLS PC's in our area because of a looming area code overlay that started this past Sunday. Every phone number that was xxx-xxxx was changed to 801-xxx-xxxx. To me, this indicated an endorsement for this format.

There is no rule stating phone numbers MUST be in this format, so until that happens, I guess you are welcome to store them as you wish.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:Last week the Church pushed the "801" area code down to all MLS PC's in our area because of a looming area code overlay that started this past Sunday. Every phone number that was xxx-xxxx was changed to 801-xxx-xxxx. To me, this indicated an endorsement for this format.
Oh, ok. I see where that thought came from. I have been dealing with 10-digit local phone numbers for nearly 25 years now. [grin]
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

For what it's worth, I checked the Church's Style Guide and it does indicate that 000-000-0000 is the standard format.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

13thfloorrocks wrote:For what it's worth, I checked the Church's Style Guide and it does indicate that 000-000-0000 is the standard format.
Thanks for the input. Obviously, this only applies to the USA, Canada, and other countries and teritories with a similar phone number configuration. ;)
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Mikerowaved wrote:Thanks for the input. Obviously, this only applies to the USA, Canada, and other countries and teritories with a similar phone number configuration. ;)
Probably principally those using NANP as their telephone numbering plan.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

13thfloorrocks wrote:For what it's worth, I checked the Church's Style Guide and it does indicate that 000-000-0000 is the standard format.
Is there another style guide besides the Newsroom style guide, which uses dashes for international numbers [000-000-0000], and parentheses for US numbers [(801) xxx-xxxx]? .grin.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”