MySQL or PHP on ward websites?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
sputnik-p40

MySQL or PHP on ward websites?

Post by sputnik-p40 »

Quite frankly, I have no idea what can be done on a ward website.

I'm a Webelos den leader trying to keep parents updated on what their boys have accomplished (books are either always lost or forgotten at home). I wrote up a few simple pages to track everything, but I know it should all be hosted on the Church's servers. Unfortunately, I have no idea what those servers do/allow.

Are ward websites limited to blog-like entries or can I write custom code?
And who do I talk to in order to get access to do anything? The ward clerk?
Thanks for any info.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

sputnik wrote:Quite frankly, I have no idea what can be done on a ward website.

I'm a Webelos den leader trying to keep parents updated on what their boys have accomplished (books are either always lost or forgotten at home). I wrote up a few simple pages to track everything, but I know it should all be hosted on the Church's servers. Unfortunately, I have no idea what those servers do/allow.

And who do I talk to in order to get access to do anything? The ward clerk?
Thanks for any info.
I don't know about the MySQL or PHP on the websites, but I know that some basic HTML and JavaScript codes are allowed. To submit an item to the ward website, you would have to submit it through the News and Information section. If there were any attachments to go with it, you would have to submit them directly to the ward website administrator. The Ward Website Administrator would review your post for appropriateness, and then approve it if appropriate and delete it if not. Clicking on the Feedback link at the top of your ward web page will tell you who your Web Administrator is.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sputnik wrote:I'm a Webelos den leader trying to keep parents updated on what their boys have accomplished (books are either always lost or forgotten at home). I wrote up a few simple pages to track everything, but I know it should all be hosted on the Church's servers. Unfortunately, I have no idea what those servers do/allow.

In addition to what Ailene said, I would add that PHP and MySQL are not possible at all on the ward/stake websites. The only customization is HTML and Javascript, and even that can only be put in certain places and has several limitations.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The ward websites are largely "fill in the blank" and not a website in the usual sense.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sputnik-p40

Post by sputnik-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:The ward websites are largely "fill in the blank" and not a website in the usual sense.
I see. I guess I'll just have to use this as an internal web app. Thanks.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”